IGNORED

New 2012 R12RT ordered-add your input please

wvpc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I am a long term lurker that really enjoys this forum. I just pulled the trigger on a 2012 R12RT. I would like the forums input on my purchase order with regard to where did I screw up and what did I do right. First, let me digress...

I am a long term airhead owner (83 R100RT bought new) in SE Michigan. I like simple, easy to maintain stuff. My order is for a stripper R12RT. No ESA,no trip computer, no TPM, no radio, bluetooth nothing. I ordered:

Low Seat (30 Inch inseam), Heated seats, Heated grips, Cruise, Dual ACC sockets, Top Box 49l.

That is it. $19,673 minus tax. title, lic.

In the next 3 years I plan to add a better windshield, Ohlins and a custom seat and tank bag.

I know the Top Box is a weak point pricewise but should I have added or deleted anything else? Don't be too hard on me

Welcome! I also like the bikes basic, but I would add the trip computer and the TPM. No additional maintenance. I have a '05 R1200GS and added a after-market thermometer and TPM to it.

Sounds right to me. I wanted one with trip computer, cruise, and heated grips only, but I didn't want to wait so I bought what was on the floor. I have ESA; it is okay, but I'm not sure I would do it again; I have the audio package, and I would not do it again. I'm glad I got heated seats; I would not have ordered them, but a warm seat is really nice on a long, cold ride. If you use heated gear, you ought to go ahead and get your dealer to rewire one of your outlets to the battery; the Canbus will not handle the load of a liner and gloves.

I know you'll enjoy your new bike.

I managed to find my 2011 RT without radio ($1200!) but it had ESA which I could do without. Can't be too choosy about extras unless you want to wait a while for the bike.

I added a Givi topbox; the V46NT which is matte black without the big, ugly (my opinion) red plastic reflector, and it looks great on my Thunder Gray RT. And a Sargent seat. At 5,000 miles we are still breaking each other in. Now if we could do something about winter...

pete

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I am a long term lurker that really enjoys this forum. I just pulled the trigger on a 2012 R12RT. I would like the forums input on my purchase order with regard to where did I screw up and what did I do right. First, let me digress...

I am a long term airhead owner (83 R100RT bought new) in SE Michigan. I like simple, easy to maintain stuff. My order is for a stripper R12RT. No ESA,no trip computer, no TPM, no radio, bluetooth nothing. I ordered:

Low Seat (30 Inch inseam), Heated seats, Heated grips, Cruise, Dual ACC sockets, Top Box 49l.

That is it. $19,673 minus tax. title, lic.

In the next 3 years I plan to add a better windshield, Ohlins and a custom seat and tank bag.

I know the Top Box is a weak point pricewise but should I have added or deleted anything else? Don't be too hard on me

I'll add that I'm green with envy

Congratulations and welcome!

I am a long term lurker that really enjoys this forum. I just pulled the trigger on a 2012 R12RT. I would like the forums input on my purchase order with regard to where did I screw up and what did I do right.

Since you've already purchased, who are we to spoil your day?! Enjoy!

I am a long term lurker that really enjoys this forum. I just pulled the trigger on a 2012 R12RT. I would like the forums input on my purchase order with regard to where did I screw up and what did I do right.

Since you've already purchased, who are we to spoil your day?! Enjoy!

Depends what production stage the ordered bike is in. If early it can be changed.

Thanks everyone for your help. Your input has been very valuable and I am grateful. Since The bike I ordered is not due until March I will call the sales rep and discuss the computer and TPM add on.

It sounds like you did quite well :) The "board computer" (BC) is something to play with on extended rides but definately not essential... TPM is something worth it I think. My 2005 features are nearly identical to yours except it has the BC. My final price after everything was just over 20k in April of 2005. The stock shocks got swapped out for Wilbers in late May 2005 and now have over 100k on them.... the bike over 104k. The R1200RT is one of the best all around big street bikes ever made. To the best of my knowledge KGT has never come close to selling like the RT has. Great bikes have staying power.

I think the cruise control is a nice feature. It's useless on the twisting mountain roads, or along the sea coast. But on the freeway, the long straight interstate, it's heaven. And don't forget, between the coasts, and between the mountains, there are long straight interstates.

Then when you get to the motorcycle roads, you forget you have cruise control.

TPM could be very life saving. Or at least inconvenience avoiding.

I won't touch gps, as I prefer to stop and ask ladies for directions. Or anyone for that matter. It's always nice to talk to the locals. And, I may look dumb, but I've never truly been "lost".

Heated seat and heated grips help the heated gear.

ESA I suppose is no real benefit.

Have fun.

dc

I would agree with getting the computer. Temp knowledge can be very helpful and now with float back in the tank, gas gauge is reliable. I agree with you NOT getting ESA. I say that as I never ride two up, so once I set the manual suspension I'm pretty well set. Not only can you get the suspension settings more precise for your weight and intentions, but you save $900.00 and have a lot less eventual repair cost, should this bike be a long term keeper. Have a great winter wait and a fantastic Spring, running that machine in.

I picked up my 2011 in February of lasy year. Similarly eqipped except regular seat (34 inch inseam), on-board computer and no top box. I put a Bags- Connection City bag on it. Not crazy about the mounting plate but not as ugly as I feared. It's a good sized bag for the bike. I put a Givi E55 Tech top case on it. Not sure how I lived without a topcase on the old bike. Good call on the radio. I test rode one before buying mine and had the radio on for about 5 minutes before it annoyed me enough to shut it off. Not sure what bike, if any, you're coming off of but I had a Suzuki dl650 and the difference was amazing (as well it should be).

The computer is probably not essential but I like having it. I bought mine off the floor or otherwise would have considered the tire pressure monitor.

Plans include a new seat. I had a Sargent on my Suzuki and am leaning that way with this bike. I would consider a new windshield but everything gets mixed reviews so that needs more research. Ohlins are probably in the future for the bike as well as my wife and I do some two up riding.

My only regret is that it didn't come in red.

Enjoy the ride

I like my Givi box. I had the small BMW box on the bike when I bought it, and it was too small. The $1,000 they want for the 49l box will buy almost 3 Givi 55l boxes!

I do have the ESA, but again, it came with the bike. I like the cruise for long freeway trips, and it allows me to photograph other bikes while riding.(ONLY on side roads or freeway with LITTLE OR NO CAR traffic!)

The computer can be nice, and the TPM is worth the price! I had someone "play" with my front tire one time, and the TPM let me know as soon as I started to roll. Yes, it did feel a little off, but I had just put about 30 lbs in the Givi, and thought that may have been the problem.

I do have the CeeBaily windscreen, and I think it is a 100% improvement over the stock shield. I know the newer bikes have a larger shield, so I don't know what the improvement would be for you.

I think you will enjoy the ride, but remember the engine may take up to 12,000 miles to fully break in!

I had someone "play" with my front tire one time, and the TPM let me know as soon as I started to roll.

Are you saying someone let air out of your tire? How do you know?

Thanks folks for all the great input. I added the computer. For TPM I will buy a compressor/repair kit AND a nice new guage and still have some $ left over. As to the BMW TopBox I am leaning toward a GIVI and more $.

Thanks folks for all the great input. I added the computer. For TPM I will buy a compressor/repair kit AND a nice new guage and still have some $ left over. As to the BMW TopBox I am leaning toward a GIVI and more $.

Slime pump and Slime pressure gauge. Unless you don't ever expect to get a flat, add a tire repair kit; after being stranded by mushroom plugs, I'm a believer in the inexpensive "rope" plugs. They're cheap enough to replace with fresh ones annually.

Paul Mihalka

Compressor/repair kit/gauge helps when you already have a flat tire. TPM helps you telling you will have a flat tire shortly. It can make the difference between repairing your tire on the side of the road or at the next gas station - or it tells you that if you don't slow down you will be on your butt in the next turn.

I bought a 2010 that was already ordered by the dealer. It came with 2 sockets, trip computer, ESA, and heated seats and grips. I wanted all those options plus TPM but had no choice. No top box for me - always ride alone. The windshield is perfectly fine with me but I did change the seat at about 15,000 miles.

After 3 flats in about 3,000, the first flat in 600 miles, I got the plug kit and pump for my rides.

I suggest you ride the bike a lot before you add or change anything on it. You do need some time to adjust to your new bike although it's awesome IMHO. Btw, break in is more like 20,000 miles on these boxers. They just keep getting better.

Enjoy!

tsp

Blog with review and what I carry on rides:

www.swriding.blogspot.com

I found the windscreen on my '12 to be much better for me than the one on my '08. I would suggest you ride it for a while before changing anything significant.

I've got the 2012 with computer, cruise, TPM, traction control!, and low seat, low suspension. No radio as I prefer silence when I ride and the radio compartment makes for a great dash compartment for maps, glasses etc.

I do wish I had the heated seat, but I bought a floor model and I don't believe it's an option on the low set up anyway. I do find the low seat to be much more comfortable that the standard for some reason, and have no plans to change it.

Take your time, break it in and don't go crazy with farkles until you get to know the bike. You're going to love it!

Bought '12 on Nov 7. Had premium package; dual socket, chrome exhaust, on board computer, heated grips and seat, ESA, cruise control and standard seat. This particular model had radio with bluetooth.

I ride one up 100% of the time. The radio works well with Sema bluetooth and earbuds. I already had a low seat and use that on the high position. That's just about the same height as standard seat in low position. I guess I just like the lesser padding of the low seat. Never use the second socket. Like the chrome exhaust over the stainless...as the chrome blues, but the stainless browns. Heated grips and seat are fine, but I could get by without the heated seat. ESA is okay, but if I ordered this bike I would not have it. Riding only one up allows me to pretty much set and forget the suspension...could do that $900.00 cheaper with manual version.Computer is fun to play with and pretty reliable given they went back to the float, instead of strip.

I added Suburban Peg Lowering kit and Ilium shifter and brake extensions. Have the Flat TourTech Tank Bag, which is easy to mount and use...also allows for easy fuel filling.

I've had a lot of aftermarket windshields and seats...and I've found both, the stock seat and windshield, on this bike quite acceptable.

Added the TPM to the order after consideration and several recommendations from members here. Thanks for the input. Build date is this week I heard.

• 2 months later...

I'd have skipped the TPM. If you need to rely on that sort of thing to tell you a tire is low you really need to work on developing some feel for the bike. If I get a puncuture, it will get noticed and I'll fix it wherever I happen to be at the time- its not difficult or time consuming for the usual variety..

The maintenance on the TPM system can get costly over enough years..

The BC, yes. Handy and doesn't create problems

ESA- you're way better off with Ohlins- especially if you aren't constantly switching to with/without pillion

Cruise- I've got and almost never touch the thing. Others like it especially on the slab. I prefer to focus on riding- don't listen to music either- its a distraction that might get me killed.

Top box- well made but so heavy it impacts handling significantly. But if you use your bike for shopping and road trips, you'll use it a bunch. I prefer sidecases only when all I need to carry is riding gear for the day's changing conditions. Top box goes on and off in a flash, convenient..

Many (most?) owners end up with a better windscreen and seat than the oem stuff. Many add lights front and/or rear, bar mirrors for better rear vision when loaded with gear, gps, some means to charge cell phone ,etc. I carry a tool kit sufficient for any normal repairs plus a GS-911, compressor and plug/patch kit, etc, I've even got a Veskimo setup on mine for comfort on those 100 degree days...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2010 which I picked off the showroom floor. It came with ESA, cruise, heated seats/grips, computer, and radio. Bought a BMW top case, expensive! Also installed the Wunderlich engine guards and side case guards. Wish it had TPM as I'd like the early warning of pressure loss.

The strip gas gauge was DOA, dealer replaced it and I put in AMSOIL periodically, which so far has kept it alive.

I don't use the radio much since you can't really hear it with a helmet. There's a bluetooth option to pipe it in my Scala but I'm concerned about not hearing things outside the helmet if the radio is on. Cruise is a blessing on the interstate. The grips are uncomfortable (to me anyway) and the seat sucks. Will get a new seat at some point. Looking at Russell but there are other quality seat makers too. Love this bike.

Get some Grip Puppies or the like to help with those uncomfortable grips. They are foam and slip over your heated grips. Still get the heat, but not the red hands from those ribbed grips. They're about ten bucks a pair.

Received the bike in early March and have been farkelizing to some degree. It took about 96 days from order to pickup. I am planning a ride to the Northwest for this summer. I have a Rick Mayer seat ordered for 6/1/12. I am not going anywhere without that. Lowered the pegs, bought a PDM60 power module and updated the acc plugs to 15 amp powerlets to run heated gear. Upgraded the horn(s). Added Ztechnik engine guards, GS mirrors and a tank bag.

Right now my old 83RT is a more comfortable and satisfying ride because I have been dialing it in for many years. The basic 1200 RT is a good ride but needs a seat, lowered pegs and for me some Ohlins (shorter) shocks. The 1200 RT is a much colder bike to ride up here in Michigan than the 83 RT. I miss the engine heat on my feet in the spring. I will have to upgrade my boots to warmer ones!

LIKES: Brakes and handling-wow. Power, Adj wshield, heated bars & seats, TPR, BC, 49L Topbox, cruise.

Now it is time to put some miles on it. Once again thanks all for your suggestions. They were a help and comfort through the long ordering process.

So once I get it closer to my needs I think I will like it quite a bit.

Paul Mihalka

Yup, I understand the process. It takes me about a year to set up a new to me bike just the way I want it. That's why after that I keep it for a looong time.

Archived