IGNORED

Another Battery thread

Scarecrow

I tried to start my bike today to go for a ride and it just made a big clattering sound. The bike is 1.5 years old (bought it April 2004) and the battery is already dead. Pretty lame. I'll keep charging it up for now, but obviously I'll be getting a new one. I'm debating between the Odyssey PC680 and one from Panasonic I've seen good things about on the board. Anyone know the model for that one to save me the search? (yeah, I know, I'm being lazy blush.gif)

And anyone have experience with both to give a comparison?

About your battery, check where you bought the bike new and see if they will replace it for no charge. usually will.

Also, be sure to not use the sealed type of battery as many problems have occured with the sealed type of "odysey" and other similar sealed type of batteries.

Sealed batteries also do not provide the power output needed to run the abs on BMW's. They have intermitent abs failure or "faults", which go away after the bike is run and charged, but a temporary risk when the abs goes out. I recomend staying away from the sealed type of batteries. I have seen first hand on several bmw rt's, while out riding,

abs faults showing up on the bikes using sealed batteries. I have seen it with my own eyes, that is why I do not recomend them.

About your battery, check where you bought the bike new and see if they will replace it for no charge. usually will.

Also, be sure to not use the sealed type of battery as many problems have occured with the sealed type of "odysey" and other similar sealed type of batteries.

Sealed batteries also do not provide the power output needed to run the abs on BMW's. They have intermitent abs failure or "faults", which go away after the bike is run and charged, but a temporary risk when the abs goes out. I recomend staying away from the sealed type of batteries. I have seen first hand on several bmw rt's, while out riding,

abs faults showing up on the bikes using sealed batteries. I have seen it with my own eyes, that is why I do not recomend them.

Whoa there partner!!! There are many, many members of this forum and others that use Odyssey batteries on their BMW's with ABS and who have experienced zero problems. I have been using the Odyssey (previously Hawker) battery for several years in several different bikes that I own (two have had ABS) with No problems.

On what data do you base your statement?

The Odyssey PC680 has served me very well for the last 4.5 years in my 1998 R1100RT. No ABS Faults and certainly no failures. If you check the battery threads you'll see this type of sealed (AGM) battery has been giving good service to many. Gmac seems to be the only one consistantly denouncing all sealed batteries and even singling out the Odyssey name. His denunciations appear to be based on some personal experience expanded to be all inclusive. "The users of these batteries all agreee that the Oddysey or any of the other sealed type batteries do not meet the electrical needs of the high power required of the BMW abs system." (Quote from another thread)

Odyssey and other sealed batteries have worked very well for many, including myself, whose posts you will find in the many battery threads on this board.

Regards,

Carl

hey carl

i think put that point across superbly, personally i think to many of us are to quick to blame the battery, we never look at the alternator belt to check for tension etc. Just by a mere quirk everyone is also to quick to say it must be a duff battery that made my abs show up in fault mode.

I think i agree with you on this one but all said and done gemac is entitled to his opinion. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Dueling Battery Threads. This has got to be a first. grin.gif

Here's my post from the other one.

Sounds like gmac is just looking for a verbal altercation with his initial and subsequent statements. Anyone who has ever read a battery thread here knows the ODYSSEY battery gets very high marks from the majority of members who have had them.

I bought the ODYSSEY Based on many threads I read before I purchased it, and all I can say is that the cranking power is great and I have yet to have a single fault.

At my last service (24K I think), the BMW dealer recommended that I replace the the stock battery with a new sealed, gel filled unit. I followed their advice, however I don't know exactly what kind it was. Does BMW put their logo on any particular, sealed, gel filled battery? Anyway, about 6K miles latter, I have had no problems. It was six degrees above this weekend, and the bike started just fine. It was a bit to cold to ride though!!<<<<<Softtail>>>>>>>> thumbsup.gif

I tried to start my bike today to go for a ride and it just made a big clattering sound. The bike is 1.5 years old (bought it April 2004) and the battery is already dead. Pretty lame. I'll keep charging it up for now, but obviously I'll be getting a new one. I'm debating between the Odyssey PC680 and one from Panasonic I've seen good things about on the board. Anyone know the model for that one to save me the search? (yeah, I know, I'm being lazy blush.gif)

And anyone have experience with both to give a comparison?

Yep,

Panasonic LC-X1220P is the model. I've been using these in my '96 R1100RT since 1997 or so. BMW had to replace 2 Mareg wet cells under warranty.

I use the Panasonics in all 3 bikes, replace them every 4 years or so. digikey.com has the best price and free shipping if you mail the check with your order form. $46 or so.

Is it just me or does gmac sound a LOT like Oprah Hazard from the 'anti-ABS' one-man campaign a while back? smile.gif

Mick

Quote:

"Is it just me or does gmac sound a LOT like Oprah Hazard from the 'anti-ABS' one-man campaign a while back?"

Funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing earlier today. The guy's a troll. If he keeps it up, I suspect one of the moderators will deal with him.

Thanks to all for your responses. I'll be talking with my dealer this Friday to see what he has to say. I know everyone seems to think pretty highly of the Odyssey (ignoring the gmactroll as he should be). I've seen a few comments about the Panasonic, and that seems to have good respect as well. I may try to find a dealer around here who deals with either Panasonic or Odyssey and go with which ever I can find. Lacking a local source I'll flip a coin and go with Panasonic/digikey or Odyssey/wherever.

Thanks again to all,

Whoa there partner!!! There are many, many members of this forum and others that use Odyssey batteries on their BMW's with ABS and who have experienced zero problems.

Odyssey batteries are a different technology than any other kind. They use pure lead (not lead alloyed with antimony or calcium to stiffen the plates), and then wind the lead plates into a cylindrical "bandage" shape to provide the needed strength. Because of the much lower resistance of pure lead plates, the result is EXTREMELY high cranking current capability.

The reference to "sealed batteries" is likely intended to mean gel cells, which definitely do not have the high cranking current capability that a flooded cell battery does.

Bob.

I have zero experience with the Odyssey PC680; I've only had my BMW since April, and the battery that came with it seems to be doing fine. When the time comes for a new battery, it'll definitely be a PC680 for two reasons. One is the many positive reviews that I've read about it on this board.

Also, my brother is building an Vans RV-8 aircraft in his garage...the battery he has on the shelf waiting to be installed is none other than a PC680. He indicated that it's a very popular battery with experimental aircraft builders.

If the PC680 has enough juice to crank a 200hp Lycoming IO-360, it should have no problems powering a BMW motorcycle.

Archived