IGNORED

J&M Bluetooth install on R1200RT Completed

blainem

Thanks for the awesome install pics and guide.

I'll be curious to hear how the intercom features work. J&M has come up with a good architecture by not making the Bluetooth function as the intercom. It's getting a whole lot better.

Quality review and very informative. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the writeup.

I have the J&M BT in a Multi too. There has always been a buzz in the system, even post-J&M upgrade on the firmware.

The good thing is with ear plugs in and underway, you won't hear it.

Is there any way you can get the input to your BWM system in stereo? The system sounds so much better in stereo.

So much better that I may upgrade my Zumo 550 to a 6 series, or just pipe the music BT from my droid in stereo.

@Nesbocaj

I'm not sure exactly what you are getting at with regards to Stereo. If you are referring to the output of the Zumo then the hardwired audio output is mono only. Although I have not tried it with the new headset the zumo should pair and provide stereo audio that way. I do have full stereo audio from the factory radio, including MP3 playback via the USB stick.

Chers

@Nesbocaj

I'm not sure exactly what you are getting at with regards to Stereo. If you are referring to the output of the Zumo then the hardwired audio output is mono only. Although I have not tried it with the new headset the zumo should pair and provide stereo audio that way. I do have full stereo audio from the factory radio, including MP3 playback via the USB stick.

Chers

Howdy, I refer to this: "The integration is complicated by the fact the RT audio input to the RT factory radio for the NavIV system is mono and the output of the Zumo 660 is stereo. I also did not want to modify the RT wiring harness.

To accomplish the integration I constructed a simple cable with a couple of resistors to sum the stereo out put of the Zumo into a mono signal. Connecting the two output wires together without isolation could potentially damage the output devices in the Zumo."

I found it strange the system would not accept stereo input.

Great write up, thanks for posting!

I agree, it is odd. Apparently that input to the factory stereo is only designed to provide the ability to get turn by turn prompts from the NavIV. Any input on that cable will interrupt the audio that is playing by reducing the level, or "muting" it for the duration of the input. This makes sense with turn by turn prompts but does not really work well with other sources such as the Zumo's MP3 player or book reader. The same would hold true if I had the 665 with XM.

I have considered connecting the Zumo to the iPod connector in the glove box. Connecting it there would provide stereo audio. I elected to use the factory connector because I plan to use it primarily for the turn by turn output from the Zumo. If I connected the Xumo to the iPod connector I would have to switch the audio input to iPod and would only be able to hear the Zumo. My preference right now is to use the FM radio and USB stick for MP3s. I like retaining the use of the factory multicontroller for changing channels, MP3 tracks, etc.

Glad you enjoyed the write up.

Cheers.

• 3 months later...

I am looking at doing that same system...now that you have had some time with it, what do you think? Good or Bad...

thanks

Archived