IGNORED

Lytro Light Field Camera

ESokoloff

Sweet!!! On my way to work this morn, I was thinking about jobs that will be irrelevant in the near future. Could a professional photographer's job be one of them?

Been trying to learn more about it since first reading about it a few weeks ago.

For example can you change the total depth of field or just the focus point?

Sweet!!! On my way to work this morn, I was thinking about jobs that will be irrelevant in the near future. Could a professional photographer's job be one of them?

If all you had to do was focus properly to be a professional photographer, that job market would have been dead long ago. Note that I'm not a professional photographer. I do know several people who are, and some of them are much better than others...maybe this will just further dilute the field with people who lack the other critically important skills.

That said, this camera looks like a lot of fun.

Been trying to learn more about it since first reading about it a few weeks ago.

For example can you change the total depth of field or just the focus point?

Everything I've seen - going back a bit more than a few weeks - seems to indicate you can only have one plane in focus at a time. Seems like, though, if it can differentiate planes of focus and make one be in focus, then it should be able to make them all be in focus. But then, I know nothing about computers or digital cameras or programming.

I'm sure there are some excellent uses for a camera like this, but I don't know about you, but when I look at a picture, I don't want to have to manually manipulate it to see the entire thing in sharp focus.

I'm sure there are some excellent uses for a camera like this, but I don't know about you, but when I look at a picture, I don't want to have to manually manipulate it to see the entire thing in sharp focus.

Sure, that would be true if you were shooting something with a large depth of field, but for anything but wide ranging landscapes - and maybe some group portraits - having just one plane in focus is a great way to draw the eye where you want it. The thing I like about this is that you can change the entire composition of the photo without having to actually change the composition. Or at least, you can make it seem that way.

Archived