IGNORED

Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Question

Slainte

I am aware of the issues concerning the OEM quick disconnects. I replaced the plastic OEMs with metal quick disconnects and replaced all crimp connectors on my last three BMWs. Recently I acquired a 2003 K1200GT (31K) which has the OEM quick disconnects. The new metal quick disconnects are here on my workbench. However, I will not have time to put then on until January, 12 because I will be out of town. The possibility of a leak while I'm away concerns me.

My question: How much fuel will escape if one of the quick disconnects were to spring a leak while I'm away? My reasoning suggests that it would only leak until the pressure in the lines is exhausted which would be a minimal amount of fuel and not a major safety concern.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Slainte

You're good, IMO.

My '03 just was visited by another '03.

The other GT had 113k on it so 185k between the two bikes.

Enjoy the hew ride.

I noticed a small trace of gas smell when stopped, never a drop noticed, just a small whiff a little while before the disconnects started to spray. This is when being around the bike after it had been sitting. After it had broken, it would leave a small drop from time to time until I could get it to the shop. If they aren't leaking now, I seriously doubt they would break while being stationary and not under pressure.

I think you are good.

Great new bike for you. Hope to hear and see more about it.

NCS

The biggest pain on that bike when the quick disconnects go is if it runs down the valve covers.... Then the fuel will stain the finish. Looks ugly. However I can't see that happening if it's just parked on the sidestand

My first post, so let's see if I can be helpful! The QD issue is very dangerous. Yes, you will stain the crankcase - but you have a good chance of turning into a large flame as well. The job takes about one hour - including taking the tupperware off. In my opinion this is a major safety issue and should be corrected without delay.

Here is a video link to back me up:

Archived