IGNORED

rain riding visibility help needed

upflying

While riding in a NorCal downpour yesterday, I found myself riding almost blind by water droplets on my glasses, windshield and rearview mirrors.

I thought my visibility could be improved if I could somehow cause the raindrops to "sheet" off rather than forming drops on the surfaces. I think chemical engineers use "surfactants" when making soaps and detergents to promote this sheeting action by water.

Does anyone know of a product I can use to prevent water droplets forming on the plastic surfaces of the windshild, eyeglasses and glass surface of the mirrors? I tried an anti-fog product called Zooke and that did not help. I also tried smearing dishwashing liquid on my windshield. That help briefly but it quickly washed away.

Lemon Pledge was the choice for my airhead windscreen/helmet screen. Worked just fine on plastic. Rain-X is only for glass, IIRC. Made plastic get all foggy.

Go faster. grin.gif

I tried that but the cage traffic in all lanes was going 55 mph or less.

I like Rain-X and use it on my cars but as stated I don't think it's safe on plastics.

3 years ago I bought a Harley W/S Water Repellant Treatment for their coated Lexan windshields. Don't know if they still make it or if it works. Might call one of their dealers.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I think you can get Rain-x for plastics at some of the marine shops in the area, but wouldn't doubt it if they charged you marine prices for the same thing. I've put standard Rain-x on my face shield for the Arai Signet GT and had no issues with discoloring.

The trick, IMO is finding a REAL GOOD anti-fog coating to put inside your helmet so that you NEVER HAVE TO OPEN IT to de-fog once you put it on. Combine that with a finger squeegee thing or similarly equipped glove and you're good to go. The only luck I've had with anti-fog stuff is with the Pin-Lock insert in my Nolan. Benicia_RT rides with a Fog City insert 24/7 365 (until his bike left him stranded on the side of HWY 24 yesterday- more to follow- thinks it's a HES), but I don't know it's effectiveness.

I think you can get Rain-x for plastics at some of the marine shops in the area, but wouldn't doubt it if they charged you marine prices for the same thing. I've put standard Rain-x on my face shield for the Arai Signet GT and had no issues with discoloring.

The trick, IMO is finding a REAL GOOD anti-fog coating to put inside your helmet so that you NEVER HAVE TO OPEN IT to de-fog once you put it on. Combine that with a finger squeegee thing or similarly equipped glove and you're good to go. The only luck I've had with anti-fog stuff is with the Pin-Lock insert in my Nolan. Benicia_RT rides with a Fog City insert 24/7 365 (until his bike left him stranded on the side of HWY 24 yesterday- more to follow- thinks it's a HES), but I don't know it's effectiveness.

Hmm. I was also riding on Hwy 24 yesterday between Walnut Creek and Orinda..I didn't see him but then I didn't see much in the rain anyway.

The problem is I wear an open face Shoei RJ-Air style helmet. No face shield other than my glasses..so the anti-fog stuff isn't going to help. I do like that small hand held wiper idea though. I think I remember seeing them in the Aerostich catalog.

Jerry Johnston

Maybe a pair of googles that could fit over your glasses might help. The googles would be easy to carry along in case of rain and if the RainX ruined them it wouldn't be a large expense.

On this subject ... the Dec 05 issue of BMWON had a brief review of the Pinlock Fog-free Lens. Are there other members who've tried the Pinlock and have good (or bad) things to say about it? I might spring for the $30 (plus the cost of another face shield to mount it to) if it works well. smile.gif

Go faster.

OR get more wind. I tend to crack my face shield open a bit to prevent fogging(realizing you don't have one) and lower the windshield enough to let the rain clear itself from the shield. Even with some upslash into the face shield, vision is still much clearer. This works at much less than 55 mph even in the worst downpour. The downside is that you get wetter but your gear should really prevent that from being an issue. I'm sure many products would prevent fogging and enhance beading, but I always seem to find myself in a downpour without them and am a little hesitant to spray something on my plastic.

Maybe a pair of googles that could fit over your glasses might help. The googles would be easy to carry along in case of rain and if the RainX ruined them it wouldn't be a large expense.
I searched for googles but couldn't find any grin.gif

If however you are interested in goggles, I use Guard Dogs Commanders They have replacable lenses with lots of options and fit over glasses well, I have been using both the goggles and their sunglasses for several years. They are a very responsive company who quickly ship orders, I have no connection.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

The problem is I wear an open face Shoei RJ-Air style helmet. No face shield other than my glasses..so the anti-fog stuff isn't going to help. I do like that small hand held wiper idea though. I think I remember seeing them in the Aerostich catalog.

Ahhhhh. I think Bob is on the right track. Without a face shield you're undoubtedly getting water on the inside surface of your glassess too. I think goggles might be the only solution. (and a squeegee)

If the issue is droplets of rain on your visor, you might want to try this-lower the wind screen to allow a greater blast of wind. Also I found it helps to turn your head side to side for a second or two. That along with a finger squeegee is the best solution. As far as fog inside the helmet I'm considering a snowmobile helmet?

RRCO2W

Zooke anti-fog applied to the inside every other day. Apply small amount and smear it on thinly with a finger. Allow to dry, then polish clear with a Kleenex.

For the outside Rain-X works jes' fine. It is safe for plastics. I was first introduced to it to use on the acrylic on the the dodger on my sailboat. Worked great and didn't seem to harm anything.

Alternative for the exterior is good old' automotive paste wax. Clear, protective and the water just sheets off.

Happy trails.

Lemon Pledge was the choice for my airhead windscreen/helmet screen. Worked just fine on plastic. Rain-X is only for glass, IIRC. Made plastic get all foggy.

I have used Rain-X on my face shields for years and it has never damaged them.

Jerry Johnston
I searched for googles but couldn't find any grin.gif

Well goggles are OK but googles will make you smile when you wear them. grin.gif

There are a few glove manufacturers that incorporate a small wiper like blade into the index finger of the left hand glove. I have a pair of Held gloves with this feature. To date I have not used it, but seems like it would effectivle clear a visor.

Fran

For that matter a good helmet will help too. My scorpion EXO 700 is freakin great, I don't have fog issues no matter what the temp is and weather is doing. works really great!

I just received the following email from Ken at Ceebailey's.

Robert,

I've used RainX on my Beech Bonanza windshield for years without any negative effects, and it is the exact same material with the M/C windshields, so we do not have any objections with using it.

Thanks,

Ken

----- Original Message -----

To: sales@ceebaileys.com

Sent: Sunday, December 04, 2005 8:49 AM

Subject: product care question

I recently purchased a Euro +3 for my 1998 BMW RT. Can "Rain-X" rain repellent be safely used on my new windshield? If not, do you know of any rain repellent products that are safe to use?

Thanks, Robert

On this subject ... Are there other members who've tried the Pinlock and have good (or bad) things to say about it?

I had a Nolan with aPinlock in and it works well, though you are looking through another plastic layer.. It doesn't fog up though.. You can get the Nolan version (I think it is a Pinlock) through Aerostitch and also Dennis Kirk.. It's sold for the snowmobile version of the helmet.

Archived