IGNORED

R 1200 RT Riding with bags vs without?

gjnockie

Anybody have any thoughts about how the 1200 RT handles and rides without the hard bags attached? Any pros or cons? I ask the question because I am sure a lot of us take short trips that do not require having the bags attached, they stick out really far and make the bike more difficult to mount and dismount. They are also easy to damage, mine have been hit by several little pebbles and now sport a couple of chips.

I think it would be great if BMW would offer a small bag lets say 6 to 7 quarts that would snap on to the rails of the rear luggage rack, the current top luggage is just to big and expensive. If anyone knows where I could find such a bag please reply, it would be much appreciated.

2005 RT 1200 RT

2005 Harley Road King Classic

Gordon K Phillips

I always ride my R12 without the bags, it handles better, about 25# lighter and I don't kick them getting off and on. I have the BMW tank bag and it is great for some short rides and small stuff. If I am going on a day ride and need lots of extras then I take my large tail trunk or just bungie a small duffle bag onto the trunk rack, works great.

Bags off, bike is lighter, gets better gas milage.. Add saddle bags, and you get a wider bike, slightly more weight, slightly less gass milage.. Add the large trunk, and you again add more weight, more drag, lower fuel milage. Handling follows the trend, as you add weight, bike handles a bit less, but is always dead stable, even loaded, 2 up at a Ton+.

Craig

BTW if you search the board for the new RTP info, there are a couple of pictures.. It appears teh RTP will have smaller top load bags.. I don't see why they wouldn't fit on a standard R12RT..

My Bags are always off during my commute to and from work or around town kinda stuff. But I put them on when I take a run up the highway, and when my "Boss" decides she wants to go I throw on the topcase that she likes to use as a back rest.

Unfortunately, BMW have not offered CITY LIDS for the 1200, although I am sure in the near future, the product will become available.

To me, I like having lockable boxes for the stuff that one has to carry permanently such as the fould weather gear for this bl@@dy stinking British weather. bncry.gif

Lawrence

I commute sans side luggage but with the top box. I like the storage convenience. If the wind is gusting I ride without boxes of any kind and the windshield down.

I try to ride without bags whenever possible. I prefer the look of the RT sans bags - makes it look a little less like a "geezer bike". tongue.gif

On the other hand, it is nice to have a place to stow my helmet, jacket and gloves during meal stops if I'm doing a day ride - or if my wife calls and tells me to pick up something from the grocery store on the way home from work.

For my local and all-day rides, I carry only the small top box. It's handy for carrying odds and ends and also for securing my helmet and GPS at lunch stops, etc. Unlike a tank bag, it's outa sight, outa mind. However, I do use a tank bag if I need to have a map visable, which is not often because of the GPS. The small top box is light enough that I still manage 48-50 MPG on the blue roads and don't really notice that it affects handling. I should note that I ride solo almost all the time.

Brian

R12RT

I'd like to see a top box about the size of a briefcase, for commuting, just big enough for a laptop and some file folders (and maybe lunch). Get to work, stow the riding gear in the bags, grab the top case, and off you go!

--Tom--

I'd like to see a top box about the size of a briefcase, for commuting, just big enough for a laptop and some file folders (and maybe lunch). Get to work, stow the riding gear in the bags, grab the top case, and off you go!
Yes! I would buy that in a heartbeat. I have never bought a topcase because I just can't stand the unwieldy look of them. Something smaller and portable would be ideal.

Check out this Ortlieb tail bag from Aerostitch HERE. It may be larger than you want, but the concept seems to be right on, particularly if you commute, rain or shine.

Marsee, Chase Harper and probably others also make tail bags that may also interest you.

Brian

R12RT

Archived