IGNORED

Fork oil question

nrp

I use a mixture of 50% Pure Vermont Maple Syrup, and 50% Buffalo Trace 90 proof Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey. If you ever break down in Death Valley, you can both sustain and amuse yourself.

If you have the fluid already I would try it. If you do not like how if feels, it is not too hard to change.

I had Bardahl 7.5w and wanted to go to a heavier Sectro 10w on my R80. I was about to start the change an realized I did not have enough of the the Spectro to complete the job. I had enough Castrol transmission fluid to complete the change, so I tried it and I was very happy with the results.

Other people have stated, different companies oil viscosity will vary even though they are supposed to be the same weight. More of a trial and error until you find what you like.

• 2 months later...

Would you consider ATF? It's way less expensive and is time proven in forks. Concerned about the weight? Adjust the quantity to adjust the ride. If money is not a concern just use the correct BMW fluid. I have used ATF in many bikes but I'm prolly the most ignorant relative to suspension. And really if you don't like it, drain it, it won't cost much as an experiment.

Archived