IGNORED

BMW Service VS Inspection

JayW

I got my first ever BMW, an '05 R1200RT in July, and it now has 6200 miles on it. I changed the oil & filter myself at 653 miles, then had the dealer do the rest of the first service at 897 miles. I changed the oil again at 4460 miles. I thought maybe a valve adjustment is about due, and looked at the owners manual today to find out for sure. It gives no useful information about this that I can find. The manual seems to recommend a "BMW service" after the first 6000 miles, and a "BMW inspection" after the first 12000 miles,if these distances are covered within a year. What is the 6000 mile service refer to? If I change my own oil every 5K, should I still take it in for them to "inspect"? Why can't they just provide a row and column checklist in the manual like everyone else does?

Jay

Seems odd. Boxers require service every 6K involving oil and filter change plus valve clearances and throttle body synchronization check and adjust if required. All these are simple and don't require a dealer.

Longer-interval services are more involved and may require dealer assistance for most of us. But the 6K basic interval is well-established. This is ignoring the 600-mile service which is "special" and shouldn't be skipped.

I got my first ever BMW, an '05 R1200RT in July, and it now has 6200 miles on it. I changed the oil & filter myself at 653 miles, then had the dealer do the rest of the first service at 897 miles. I changed the oil again at 4460 miles. I thought maybe a valve adjustment is about due, and looked at the owners manual today to find out for sure. It gives no useful information about this that I can find. The manual seems to recommend a "BMW service" after the first 6000 miles, and a "BMW inspection" after the first 12000 miles,if these distances are covered within a year. What is the 6000 mile service refer to? If I change my own oil every 5K, should I still take it in for them to "inspect"? Why can't they just provide a row and column checklist in the manual like everyone else does?

Jay

My GS has a service checklist in the manual, in the rear.

Or, you can get it from the BMW web site.

Jim cool.gif

Thanks Ken - this is helpful. I'm sure things like renewed air filters, fuel filters, and brake fluid flushes are due at some of those longer service intervals. The benefit of having a readily available specific maintenance schedule is that you can then opt to do some of the things in your own garage, and can also ensure that the dealer does not do and charge for things that are NOT due yet (which happens in car dealerships all the time).

I'm thinking about doing my own valve adjustments if I can find a good source on exactly how to do it. I used to do them all the time in my OHV japanese car engines, so maybe I can do them on this engine too.

I'll see if I can find a maintenance schedule on the BMW web site.

Jay

Thanks.

Jay, a lot of good stuff, including a service schedule for the 1100/150RTs (should be similar for the 1200RTs) can be found in this own forum's Tech Daze Manual. Has everybody else forgotten about this???

Also a search on terms such as "valve adjust" should yield dividends.

Jay,

Don't let BMW's terminology throw you. Service is service. The differences between 6K and 12K become more meaningless when you do it yourself. Presuming you are up for that - your experience is very good based on your post- you'll find great references at those sources listed as well as the ADVRider.com Hall of Wisdom (they have loads of boxer engine stuff).

Generally, fluids, air flow, fuel flow, electric (battery service) and valves check or adjust are within everyone's capability. Many also find tire changes to be reasonably well accomplished with a little investment in tools and practice.

ABS linked brake systems present a few challenges for the home DIY'er but are also within the grasp of many home mechanics - with a few more tools and supplies to purchase and a slightly more difficult process for bleeding.

I am less familiar with the Hexhead than the air/oilheads, but have the impression that everything is still within reach of the owner and his skills to maintain and service bikes.

What you get from BMW service techs is (hopefully) folks who have done 100's of them and can make judgements based on depth of experience when it comes to more difficult things like clutch wear, rear drive challenges, leaking seals and such. And the Motronic read-out for faults.

Overall, I'd say that your feeling about the bike and your knowledge is more meaningful when it comes to deciding what maintenance to perform and when. Let the 6K/12K/Annual items be your guide, but base the action on your riding, the bike's performance, and the skills you bring to bear.

Archived