IGNORED

Tires and Cold

Rafigso

Was about 28 degrees this am when I left for work. The tires felt real soft, as they should, it's cold. Anything to be careful of or to do that would heat the tires up quicker?

My dumb question: When should you check and adjust tire pressure? If you'd done it at 28 degrees this AM, it would climb up 10psi or more by this afternoon. On the other hand, if you waited until this afternoon, it would be 10 or more low tomorrow morning. Even lower if you go for a ride and get them warmed up in addition to the ambient temperature. Or should you just get real anal and adjust tire pressure throughout the day?

----

• 3 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday
My dumb question: When should you check and adjust tire pressure? If you'd done it at 28 degrees this AM, it would climb up 10psi or more by this afternoon.

Shouldn't swing that much. Assume you check in the morning at 28 degrees, and find your tires are at 40 psi. In the afternoon, the temp goes up to 60 degrees; if you let your tires cool to ambient (60F), they'll be at 43.5 psi. Significant, but not outrageous.

FWIW I don't usually worry if my tires are a pound or two low on cold mornings; I'm not going to be pushing the bike very hard until late morning (when the roads and tires are warmer).

Archived