IGNORED

Frightening Near Miss

RTJohn

On Sunday I was northbound on the 101 in the #1 lane near La Conchita. It was a little rainy. I was going about 75. Ahead on the #4 lane was a Chevy Trail Blazer tailgating a rider on an older RT (4 bolt head). The rider was wearing a day glo vest and going about 70. As I watched the rider put on his right turn signal, the Chevy began to lane share barely clearing the rider. He then made a dangerously close lane change in front of the rider. I thought for sure I was going to witness a collision. He cleared the rider by inches. The rider raised his left like WTF. The Chevy kept going on like nothing had happened. I sped up a little to see who was driving the car. It was an older gentleman who looked over at me with an unconcerned look.

What's up with people? The rider was going too slow so he tried to run him down?! Still shakes me up to remember it. :eek:

On Sunday I was northbound on the 101 in the #1 lane near La Conchita. It was a little rainy. I was going about 75. Ahead on the #4 lane was a Chevy Trail Blazer tailgating a rider on an older RT (4 bolt head). The rider was wearing a day glo vest and going about 70. As I watched the rider put on his right turn signal, the Chevy began to lane share barely clearing the rider. He then made a dangerously close lane change in front of the rider. I thought for sure I was going to witness a collision. He cleared the rider by inches. The rider raised his left like WTF. The Chevy kept going on like nothing had happened. I sped up a little to see who was driving the car. It was an older gentleman who looked over at me with an unconcerned look.

What's up with people? The rider was going too slow so he tried to run him down?! Still shakes me up to remember it. :eek:

Well, there are many a!* holes on the road and you experienced one of them... just let it go and keep on going... Thankfully nothing happened to the RT rider and no one else. However, you could have just bashed into him and run him off the road, into a ditch... that would have felt goood :/

DaveTheAffable

I have had a couple lately too. Saturday mornings, I sometimes have coffee with a group of riders who meet at a coffee shop in Seal Beach, at 7:30am. I generally travel south on 605 fwy from Florence Av, to Seal Beach Blvd.

The speeds of cagers on that stretch is typically 75 - 90 EVERY Saturday morning down thru West Whittier, Cerritos, Long Beach. The posted limit is 65mph. I set the cruise for 70mph and ride in the #2 lane. People get ANGRY with me. Honk, flip me off, cut me off.

Car pool lane is as bad or worse. About a month ago I had a guy INCHES from my tail in car pool lane @ 70+, flashing his headlights. I crossed out/over the double yellows, into the number one as he zoomed by. About 30 seconds later, California Highway Patrol pulled me over for the "Car Pool Lane" violation.

CHP was polite. I explained. He said he did not see the other guy, but that they were trying to beef up enforcement. He did not ticket me.

Last Saturday it was just as bad or worse. I guess their efforts are to naught....

What's up with people? The rider was going too slow so he tried to run him down?! Still shakes me up to remember it.

I think some people have forgotten their humanity and some of them are sociopaths.

I am glad you are relating your horror story here and I encourage you to report that kind of behavior to law enforcement and to the press.

To some that may seem futile, but if we don't get active and vocal I am sorry to say that I think more tragedy's will occur.

On Sunday I was in the midst of a 600+ mile ride home and was traveling in the left most lane passing a truck. I could see the driver in his mirror, I was looking right at him. He didn't care, he came right over into my lane in order to pass the truck in front of him, I was in complete shock. I had to hit my brakes swiftly at 80mph while passing. I down shifted and went around him on the right and also raised my WTF left arm signal, waived at him, but not even a flinch, he simply didn't care. Regained my composure and was on my way. If it was b mistak I could understand, but this guy was looking right at me.

Always having that exit plan is important, especially on the highway with the cages.

Be safe!

Rafael

Would the CHP even log such a thing? I guess I could have called them to tell them about a dangerous driver. I'll have more presence

of mind next time and make a point of reporting such idiots. Thanks. Stay safe.

Hi Dave. I've found it helps to not be the slowest in the traffic lanes. I try not to be the fastest either. Cool that Mr. CHP didn't cite you. Stay safe.

I don't like trucks. They take up most of the lane, they create a huge backwash, they buffet you like crazy when you pass them and they block your view of the lane ahead. I always pass them when I can. Some drivers, truckers or cagers, just don't seem to see a motorcycle even when they look right at you. Some of my more experienced friends always reminded me to assume they don't. Like you I don't make gestures other than raising my WTF arm. When I see someone manuevering in a questionable way, I go past them or change lanes.

Stay safe.

Would the CHP even log such a thing? I guess I could have called them to tell them about a dangerous driver. I'll have more presence

of mind next time and make a point of reporting such idiots. Thanks. Stay safe.

Thanks! You too! :wave:

I don't think the reporting of one incident does much at all, but I believe the cumulative effect does. And a corresponding complaint to the press would lead to more coverage of the topic.

It is usually a good idea to at least run the speed of the traffic in the lane you are in. Some days it might be 80 in lane #1, It may still be 65 over in Lane #3. By slowing a left lane down, traffic backs up, drivers become more impatient, then they start trying to move through the slower traffic to the right and a bottle neck of irritation is set up behind all this. On a bike this is more tense than not with those pressing and irritated all around. Find the lane that is running about the speed you are driving/riding, regardless of being in a cage or on a bike. Around here generally during the week, the #1 lane is about 12-15 over, middle lane about 6-8 over, right lane about 3-5 over. On just two lanes the left is usually about 10 over, the right about 4 over.

Remember also our BMW speedos are not always right. You can do a visual check against Honda Civics as you can see their digital speedos. They tend to be just a fraction slower than my GPS. Their 71 is 79 on my speedo and about 72 on the GPS

NCS

John

If I was frightened by those things, I'd just be frightened all the time.

Because that happens all the time.

Probably half of the cars that pass me try to pass within inches. I guess it's some type of game with them.

And as far as going faster than everybody else on the road? Good luck trying, because it will never happen.

There is always some idiot that has to try to drive faster. No matter what type of vehicle.

dc

John

If I was frightened by those things, I'd just be frightened all the time.

Because that happens all the time.

Probably half of the cars that pass me try to pass within inches. I guess it's some type of game with them.

And as far as going faster than everybody else on the road? Good luck trying, because it will never happen.

There is always some idiot that has to try to drive faster. No matter what type of vehicle.

dc

Do you think it has anything to do with living in a lane sharing state? If you expect to share their lane, why shouldn't they expect to share yours? You've already established the precedent that you don't need a full lane.

----

The RT was in the far right lane. The Trailblazer passed on the riders left side inches away from the rider. There wasn't much traffic, the car could easily have passed normally and gone around.

"Do you think it has anything to do with living in a lane sharing state? If you expect to share their lane, why shouldn't they expect to share yours? You've already established the precedent that you don't need a full lane."

No. I think it has to do with the fact that they are pathetically stupid. I have seen the same thing amongst boaters.

They are cruising around some rocks. And it never occurs to them to clear the rocks by a good distance. They try to cut as close to the rocks as possible.

And the inevitable happens. Particularly if the engine stalls.

Most lane sharing occurs when the cars are stopped. Not when the bike is passing a car with an open lane beside it.

I don't need a full lane when the cars are stopped. But at any time the cars do need a full lane to pass.

That's why about 25% of the bumper corners you see are scratched up. Their judgment is poor.

And furthermore, I ain't movin! I actually somewhat like it here.

dc

The RT was in the far right lane. The Trailblazer passed on the riders left side inches away from the rider. There wasn't much traffic, the car could easily have passed normally and gone around.

Sorry, what was the position of the motorcycle within the lane? Right wheel, oil stripe or left wheel?

Hmmm...I was going to come back with some snappy retort...but I can't think of one right now. :P

Quinn might have a point. Trailblazer feels he is constantly cut off by lane splitting motorcycles who pass by him within inches. Trailblazer driver got revenge by doing the same to the RT rider.

Hmmm...I was going to come back with some snappy retort...but I can't think of one right now. :P

Quinn might have a point. Trailblazer feels he is constantly cut off by lane splitting motorcycles who pass by him within inches. Trailblazer driver got revenge by doing the same to the RT rider.

Trailblazer is guilty of road rage and needs to be stopped, talked to and likely ticketed for reckless driving.

In other words, intentional, not just mere stupidity. Retaliation, road rage.

Threatening the biker with a 4000 pound object.

Kind of like if I shot off my gun across the front of the Trialblazer. "Hey, I wasn't going to hit him. He didn't get hit. Hey, a guy ought to be able to shoot off his gun when he wants, right?"

dc

I was on the 101-north thru La Conchita Sunday about 4PM, just after the rain, on my RT. Thats a construction zone right now and with wet Pavement, I can understand the older gent being careful. I was too but I don't wear a day-glow vest.

Perhaps road rage on traiblazers part, perhaps just lazy driving. I see lots of folks in cages ease around other cages in traffic, not speeding through traffic, just working through traffic without using turn signals and hardly clearing a lane or leaving much room between the vehicles left front fender of one to right rear of others. It is as if they have a comfort of driving well withing the 'comfort bubble" most have. The comfort bubble of most is usually a lot smaller than saftey would dictate but this lazy attitude of just getting enough room to clear makes it dangerous for the rest of us. There are just too many what ifs.

NCS

There are two distinct possibilities that occur to me--either that Trailblazer driver was intentionally being an ass, or that it was a poorly executed pass by an inattentive driver, perhaps a geezer who's not quite as capable as he once was. Either way, the potential consequences for the rider are the same.

I've been the intended victim of an intentional squeeze or brake check on a couple of occasions. One of our fellow BMWSTers was taken down by an intentional act. So, it does happen.

Nothing's 100%, and even the best of us tend to let our guard down occasionally, but riding with the attitude that motorists are out to get you--and I mean really out to get you--can help to anticipate the things that cagers sometimes do that put you in danger.

Around here I see it with people passing bicycles. They put their left wheels on or just over the double yellow and pass at full highway speed, granting the cyclist an extra six inches. Recent occurance of a guy correcting a group of cyclists by swearing back into their train that he deemed was too long to help divide it for them before finishing his pass. His division left two remainders with injuries.

----

On Sunday I was in the midst of a 600+ mile ride home and was traveling in the left most lane passing a truck. I could see the driver in his mirror, I was looking right at him. He didn't care, he came right over into my lane in order to pass the truck in front of him, I was in complete shock. I had to hit my brakes swiftly at 80mph while passing. I down shifted and went around him on the right and also raised my WTF left arm signal, waived at him, but not even a flinch, he simply didn't care. Regained my composure and was on my way. If it was b mistak I could understand, but this guy was looking right at me.

Always having that exit plan is important, especially on the highway with the cages.

Be safe!

Rafael

Unfortunately, "looking right at me" does NOT equal "saw me"--I never assume that I've been seen.

I ride bicycles a lot. I swear once a every other week or so someone actually tries to run me over. Sometimes I'm able to catch them at the next light and give them a piece of my mind. Don't know if it's the rite thing to do or not, but maybe it will remind them cyclist are people.

I had a buddy that a bus tried to run over him. He caught it at the next light and broke out the window. I guess that's easier to do in a vehicle with no tags.

I had another buddy a truck went by him and smacked him in the back with the mirror and didn't even stop.

speaking of bicycles, Once an oversize load nearly got me at about 70 mph from behind. The driver never even noticed that I went over the edge and down in the ditch to avoid it. Thank God for mirrors. I don't think it was deliberate but a good chance to be killed. Yes you should make your feelings known. Some drivers are so poor they need the reminder.

After thinking about it I do have a criticism of the rider. He shouldn't have moved all the way over to the right side of the lane. He invited the car to share the lane. A mistake IMO. Like David13 said, lane splitting takes place when the cars are stopped or almost so. I don't split traffic when they're moving, too dangerous.

Does anyone have the CA Lane Sharing link?

I would not believe that CA Lane Sharing was designed for cars/trucks to enter an occupied lane with the intent of sharing the lane.

I was once at a stop sign on a secondary road in Illinois. I was in the left side of the lane, making my stop before proceeding. A driver in a car entered my lane with me and stopped. I gave him an earful.

We all know the significance of why we are in the left, middle or right side of a lane. Non-riders are rarely aware of the Why's. That doesn't forgive them for thinking we are somehow inviting them into our lane.

I've said it a hundred times; drivers in this country are woefully undertrained for the operation of a motorized vehicle on public roadways.

Kathy

The lane sharing is not specified, I don't believe. It is allowed, in that it is not prohibited.

Unfortunately, it is not limited to motorcycles. There is no law that says motorcycles only.

So, conceivably anyone in a car can share a lane with a motorcycle rider.

They are never never "invited" to do so. But I do not believe it is specifically prohibited.

But it clearly is reckless and an unnecessary endangerment of the motorcycle, and rider.

Common sense and common courtesy would say don't do it in a car.

But not only does training lack, so does common sense, common courtesy, and the emotional sanity and stability for a lot of these drivers.

dc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the good ole days, if you treated someone with disrespect or indifference you may end up wearing your ass as a hatband, in today's "civil" society the "right" to drive your minivan taking the kids to school allows people to not be held responsible for their actions. This includes killing and maiming humans, after all they could not see you because the cell phone was stuck to their ear while they putting on makeup, playing text tag with a friend. Killing a dog will get you more jail time than killing a biker, after all it is not my fault I didn't see you.

Hi Dave. I've found it helps to not be the slowest in the traffic lanes. I try not to be the fastest either. Cool that Mr. CHP didn't cite you. Stay safe.

I typically ride a bit faster than the surrounding traffic (maybe +1 or 2 mph). I have tried riding slower but have had similar experiences with tailgaters and the such. For me, it is easier to see what is coming up ahead than what is coming up behind. So far I have not been cited and I feel safer.

CoarsegoldKid

Why is this a near miss. Sounds more like a near hit. As Leslie says if they have looked at your bike don't think for a minute that they see you. We all must ride like we are invisible.

As a lane splitter in a VERY BAD part of Can'taffordya, I have cars try to "block" me all the time. My thing is to make sure the right side mirror folds up, as they don't seem to need it! I have had NO problem with this, and the cars seem to learn to give the bikes some room.

I DO have help with the local HD crowd, as Santa Cruz is home to a LARGE population of HD "riders" the LEO's try to keep an eye on!

Hi Ray. I can think of two or three times when someone deliberately tried to squeeze me out while splitting lanes. The rest of the time I don't people are paying attention or just not thinking about a motorcycle between lanes. I know I often am surprised by a rider when I'm driving and I'm looking for bikes. Mostly it's the young guys on street bikes breaking the sound barrier. They come up on you so fast and then they're gone. I try to follow HD's when lane splitting. They make a lot of noise and everyone moves over for them. My RT sounds like a sewing machine...most people are aren't impressed by that. :grin:

Hi Joe. When I watched the whole thing going down, I really thought the car was going to knock the bike off the road. The driver was pissed about something. I also think the rider shouldn't have moved over to the right side of the lane. He was almost inviting the car to lane share. In this case, the bike was the slowest vehicle on the freeway. IMHO also a mistake. I try to keep up with traffic or maybe even be slightly faster than most. I'm never the slowest. You're right about assuming invisibility. That is the best defense. :lurk:

Gotta ask, since I don't have time to read 5 pages of input, has any one said..."a miss is as good as a mile?"

My dear old mom used to say, "did you see what almost could have happened." But she was really old. Have you joined the really old lady group? :dopeslap:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived