IGNORED

OEM TPMS failure after tire change

rx35285

The front sensor on my OEM tire pressure monitoring system failed on the second ride after the front tire was changed by an independent shop. I had the tire dismounted by the same shop and there are no signs of sensor damage. Is the failure so soon after a tire change just a coincidence?

Additional information. The sensor didn't start to indicate until traveling 7 miles on the first ride after tire change. It didn't work at all on the second ride and the display for the rear eventually blanked out and the caution light came on.

I understand the sensor (made by Schrader) is a throw away item, but the bike is only 4 years old and this is the third front tire.

Anyone else have a failure like this?

Thanks,

Dave

Mod Edit: Our new friend, Dave, is referring to his 2008 BMW F800ST

These sensors are said to be good for about five years, give or take one year. These things are pricey ($ 155 a pop) but, sadly, they are considered a disposable item like air filters or brake pads.

Be very glad you don't own a Kawasaki though. The TPMS on the 1400GTR/Connie 14 is exactly the same price as the BMW unit but lasts half as much (due to poor batteries fitted at the factory) and failure after six months are not unheard of.

• 1 month later...

He could have an F bike.

That's going to be my guess.

There is a good thread on advrider where someone opens up one of the sensors and replaces the battery. Then seals it back up and ...

I did forget to read if it then worked ... or not.

dc

We really don't know what he owns, do we?

One can only presume he has a BMW since this a BMW forum. Why would anyone with an ounce of self respect bother to belong to a BMW forum unless they OWN and ride a BMW?

As to the TPI failure, unfortunately they are a POS and have a finite life and failures have occurred prematurely. Mine is going on 4 years and still works, I'm lucky. Replacing them is ridiculously expensive. Just Dang the bad luck!

Iowa

Farm country

Do tractors (real ones, not the RT tractors) have TPM?

Let me check the John Deere website.

Ah, what if he doesn't have a John Deere?

dc

Nota

I think also I should mention again the adv thread about opening those sensors, and replacing the battery. A cheap fix. Apparently, it can be done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last Sunday the Yellow warning triangle light activated on my wifes '07 F-800, at the same time the tire symbol came up on the display. When this happens the display should also show the tire pressure. It did show pressure for one tire but just _ _ _ for the other tire. Both tires have correct pressure. I suspect a dead TPS but suppose it could be some other glitch in the system. Are these the symptoms usually exibited with a TPS failure? Is there any test for this other than BMW diagnostics? My dealer closed down a couple of years ago and now the closest one is almost 4 hours away - Too far to go to get a TPS tested. Any suggestions?

Thanks

One can only presume he has a BMW since this a BMW forum. Why would anyone with an ounce of self respect bother to belong to a BMW forum unless they OWN and ride a BMW?

I assume you are kidding! Some of us joined the forum many years ago and owned a BMW, but found them to not be to our liking.

I assume you are kidding! Some of us joined the forum many years ago and owned a BMW, but found them to not be to our liking.

All marques and many people are welcome here. It's been that way as far back as I can remember.

The OP lists the following in his stable, on his profile

'08 F800ST, '92 K75S, '78 Kaw KZ650

Joe Frickin' Friday

Maybe they used to own a BMW (but sold it), and still have a lot of good friends here. I have a couple of friends on this site who fit that category, and have plenty of self-respect.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the razzing. Sorry I haven't been on line to enjoy it. Yes, the bike is an F800ST. No, the TPMS front sensor failure was not due to a dead battery, at least, the low battery indicator never showed on the display. The failed sensor shows no sign of physical damage due to tire replacement or anything else.

The question, "was it a coincidence that the sensor failed immediately after a tire change?"

Thanks in advance for any advice.

And,BTW, I do work at John Deere.

Ride safe!

Dave

The timing is a little strange and suspect, but if it worked at all after the change (and it apparently did) and if there is no sign of physical damage then whatever the cause I don't think it can be blamed on the tire guy. At four years it is quite possible that you were on the edge of battery life. Yes, a low battery should have set an alert in the display but batteries can also fail rather suddenly. It's also possible that something was marginal in the pressure transducer and going to zero and back up to 40+ psi to seat the bead tipped it over the edge. Chalk it up to a mystery because you will likely never know for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Note to self: On my next bike, don't get a BMW TPM or any other electronic farkle that is prone to failure. In fact, it should have roll up windows.

Archived