IGNORED

RT-P Top Box

W8NONU

You do understand that this is not a simple modification? There are a significant number of parts which need to be replaced when either going from a single seat to a dual seat configuration, or the opposite way as you are questioning. I am assuming that you are looking to use the standard RT-P "radio box" as the "top box" in your question?

Anyway going from the RT-P's standard single seat configuration with radio box to dual seat configuration costs close to $1000 for the standard BMW parts at the standard BMW prices. Going in the direction you reference would probably be a little cheaper, but still time consuming to accomplish.

Cheapest and easiest way would be to go with a Givi or other standard top box on the luggage rack, keeping the current dual seat configuration of your bike. Any compelling reason that you want to go the the single seat configuration with the RT-P radio box? I do think that it looks pretty slick and the radio box is functional, but not as functional as a full size top box.

Might be easiest (and ultimately cheapest) to just by an old RT-P. They are available pretty inexpensively (at least as compared with civilian RT's).

Hope this helps,

Tom

skinny_tom (aka boney)

They pop up on ebay every once in a while. I'd watch there, then ask the seller if all the associated parts are included.

Thanks for the info. I am not sure what is entailed in making the swap from pillion seat to top box, but since I have no passenger I was checking it out. I have the OEM top case, but wanted the lower sleeker look if it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Archived