IGNORED

Fuel tank mounting

Dave Labrecque

Dave Labrecque

1988 K75S. The service manual (Clymer) and OEM microfiche seem to show a clamp and bolts that afix the rear of the fuel tank to the frame. My bike seems to have no such thing; only the rubber grommets on the frame that the tank's pins pop through. In fact it appears there should be some circlips on those pins, but my bike doesn't have them. I'm ordering them as we speak.

Can someone enlighten me as to what's going on with the lack of a clamp and bolts to hold the rear of the tank down? Is this only for bigger K bikes, maybe?

it has been a while since I removed the tank on my 1994 k75 but if memory serves me well. The grommets fit over the pins and the cir clips hold the grommets on the pins and the grommets are press fit into a fitting on the frame.

. . . it appears there should be some circlips on those pins, but my bike doesn't have them . . .

The tank on y '86 K75 is mounted on the pins with circlips, nothing else. Never been a problem.

Dave Labrecque

Thanks, gents. I guess my Clymer's is just covering all the different possibilities. I heard elsewhere that some older models have the bolt/clamp thing.

Archived