IGNORED

Marc Parnes Tool Question

CMWingfield

Hello All,

I'm doing the six thousand mile service on my bike today, and I've been grieving about not being able to use a Marc Parnes tool I bought. The more I look at the set up on the later model GS, the more I'm convinced that the tool will work, although information provided via the Marc Parnes website speaks to the contrary. I can't see why it won't work. Does anyone have insight on this matter?

Possibly Marc? Are you out there? Your TBS tool rocks!

Your input is appreciated!

Mike

Are you talking about the knurled ring for the TB sync? If so look at your GS and see if it has a small knurled ring by the lock nut or a 10mm hex. 05 GS's came with both. If you have the knurled ring just pull the cable housing up to expose the actual cable and slide the adjuster on and down then let the cable housing back in place and tighten the set screw and your good to go. If you have the 10mm rather than the knurled cable the tool isn't going to work for you as it can't be installed on that type of cable set up.

Thanks David. I've got the 10mm adjuster, so the Marc Parnes wheel thingy isn't made for my bike. I'm considering cutting the slot to make it wide enough to slip past the cable and then with a little JB Weld, (a miracle mixture!) rebuilding the cut out I make as well as securing the wheel thingy to the 10mm adjusting nut so I can use it for adjustments. I can't see a problem with this other than you lose the Marc Parnes when you have to change cables. Any thoughts?

Mike

I've done my RT several times (it has the 10mm adjuster) and it's really not difficult. On the older style the wheel really made it easy as you had to use needle nose pliers or something. With the 10mm I just use a wrench and really don't think the MP tool would make it that much easier to be worth the effort to modify it. You may think differently however. wink.gif

I'm with you David. I did the synch yesterday using the 10mm adjusting nut and it was much easier than on my 02 RT. Frankly, not having to remove all the tupperware was sheer joy!

I guess I'm whining about having a wonderful little helper like the Marc Parnes and being unable to use it! It was a great help on the RT. Maybe I'll donate it!

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I was thinking about making one that would work on the 10mm adjusting nut until I actually did the sync on my GS. If you use a wrench on it the adjusting ring isn't needed. I guess my good old ring will become obsolete as time goes on. This is of course a "good thing" since BMW improved a so-so design which I for one appreciate thumbsup.gif

Thanks Marc!

I too found the new set up to be easier, but your adjuster on the RT made for such a great/easy adjustment I somehow miss having the ring on the GS. Sometime it seems so "unBMWish" to make something easier, but I guess they did. Now, If they would just rethink how one must synch the 1200GS throttle bodies at idle....... dopeslap.gif

I'll seek out someone with the old version cable and hand over the adjuster. Might as well spread the joy!

Thanks again!

Mike

Archived