IGNORED

1987 K100 RS

Lawton Don

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1987 K100 RS with 27700 km's on it. It seems to be in excellent condition and the owner is willing to let me take it to a motorcycle mechanic and have it checked. The km's seem really low for that year of bike, any suggestions on how I can verify the milage? Anything else I should look for before I buy this bike. Are there any members who know the pro's and con's of this model? Thanks in advance

These bikes are pretty much bulletproof (I am talking old Honda bulletproof here), though there are a few things you may want to check.

The first is the sidestand. The fulcrum pins can wear heavily and there's no easy cure. To test just put it on sidestand and see if it leans too much.

The second is checking the clutch bell housing. Bring along a torchlight: you should see a small hole. Poke it clear with a match or something similar if it looks blocked. Any oil there means a leaky seal (engine output or gearbox input... may be both).

The third is to check the front of the engine where the water and oil pumps bolt to the block. If there's oil it could be a major pain to fix: not because it's a hard job but because sealing it can take quite a few attempts.

And that's about it. These bikes were built using premium materials, they were built to last.

One thing I suggest you prepare for is doing something about the suspension. Like most '80s bikes the rear shock is a weak point despite mileage. Resist the temptation to buy used and get a Hagon or a similar product. They are good bang for the buck and can be rebuilt time and time again. Also after 27,700 km in 25 years I bet the forks will need some attention, namely at the very least new oil and checking the steering bearings. Good point to ask for a rebate.

Given how well built are these bikes there's no easy way to check mileage apart from asking for some history, for example in form of maintenance receipts. Again, good haggling point.

Finally: given the low mileage it's highly probable it has sit for quite a while. Bikes don't like sitting idly and all sorts of problems can issue. Unless the owner can show proof of a recent service, be prepared for a full service, meaning checking valves, steering bearings etc and changing all fluids.

How are those tyres? Check manufacturing date and be prepared to change them. I personally wouldn't love to be caught in a downpour on some ten years old Metzeler's...

Archived