IGNORED

KISS the mirrors method!!!

motorman587

Boys and Girls!!!

You will not believe what I am getting trained in........lol I am attending the ARC course by MSF to become a instructor. And I have for the last two days, been Kissing my mirror!!! Do I like it? If I continue it may become something I like. Still need practice on that hog of Honda GL1800. I know some of you will chuckle at this as the many, many, many post about the Kiss and or sitting up right in the past. But as I stated in the past still stands and that both methods can be used, "YOU" must find the one that works. Remember get trained!!!

Inside & forward, i.e. kiss the mirror, always works.

BTW, what's ARC?

You got it!!! ARC is what MSF is calling the advanced Rider Course, new to Florida....I must say is pretty cool and been doing the last two days. I got say I must remove foot from mouth for the negative comments back when, must say the KISS is a drug I want more............lol

French kiss, regular, or just a platonic peck as in old married couple?

:/

MB>

hmmmmmm? On the Wing I would say it is a whole work out and it all tongue.........lol :)

John,

I think it is classy of you to post about having an open mind wrt riding techniques.

Good luck w/the new course presentation.

I'll probably need sumptin' as long as I'll be off the bike when I start riding again.

Best wishes to the family.

:wave:

John,

I think it is classy of you to post about having an open mind wrt riding techniques.

Good luck w/the new course presentation.

I'll probably need sumptin' as long as I'll be off the bike when I start riding again.

Best wishes to the family.

:wave:

I think what got me upset about the post was the ain't slam on guys that lean with the bikes. It was bad, not bad just another way. Sure KISS and they called it COW, I like KISS better, gives you more lean angle. Another tool in the tool box.

Learn a good meaning of trail braking finally.................woooohoooo and I have been doing that all along. It was great class and if you a freebie I need to practice teaching.

Hey John, in my part of the continent, we don't have the option of taking a good Advanced Riding Course. So, if you don't mind, can you explain about the KISS method?

Lean in and forward, aka attempting to kiss the mirror...........akward at first, on goldwing cause there is a lot of foward. Depending on the motorcycle you may have to tuck the elbow in. Also you can push and pull on the foot pegs, all depends how agreesive you want to ride. I sure others will dime in. lol

Lone_RT_rider

I think the really cool part of this course is that, from the sounds of it, MSF is embracing the KISS method as a viable part of steering the motorcycle at speed. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but having taken the ERC (former advanced course from the MSF group) the main tool they used to teach was the use of countersteering.

Countersteering will definitely help in evasive manuevers, but for "at speed" curves it puts the bike into a position where the bike is not balanced and therefore pushing the front tire through the curve while fighting the counteractive forces we call centrifical force. Using the KISS method balances those forces (and the bike) by offsetting the centrifical force with body mass low and inside of the curve.

Shawn

I think the really cool part of this course is that, from the sounds of it, MSF is embracing the KISS method as a viable part of steering the motorcycle at speed. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but having taken the ERC (former advanced course from the MSF group) the main tool they used to teach was the use of countersteering.

Countersteering will definitely help in evasive manuevers, but for "at speed" curves it puts the bike into a position where the bike is not balanced and therefore pushing the front tire through the curve while fighting the counteractive forces we call centrifical force. Using the KISS method balances those forces (and the bike) by offsetting the centrifical force with body mass low and inside of the curve.

Shawn

Shawn,

Think MSF is feeling the pressure with all this other riding schools popping up. Lee Parks and Ride Like a Pro. So they had to come up with something. ERC is know called the BRC2 and the ERC is the ARC.......Confusing lol...Also we had to read Nick Ienatsch's Sport Riding Techniques......

Funny how I have been an MSF instructor for 14 years and now I can say it's ok to use 2 fingers on the brake or lean in etc...................things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

Shawn

Shawn,

Think MSF is feeling the pressure with all this other riding schools popping up. Lee Parks and Ride Like a Pro. So they had to come up with something. ERC is know called the BRC2 and the ERC is the ARC.......Confusing lol...Also we had to read Nick Ienatsch's Sport Riding Techniques......

Funny how I have been an MSF instructor for 14 years and now I can say it's ok to use 2 fingers on the brake or lean in etc...................things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

Having taken the ERC last year, the instructor mentioned that MSF had been asked by the Armed Forces to develop a sport riding course, as they were having a lot of their personnel taking up motorcycling and needing some sort of standardized instruction. At that time a rider had to have some sort of military affiliation to take that class, but they were working on a civilian version, and I think that's one of the current offerings.

At least that's my understanding from taking to one instructor.

Two fingers, too funny.

Al was giving me grief about using two fingers, said he'd be happier if I used 3-4.

I said, "me too" but if you look, I'm missing that part.

:rofl:

He didn't seem to know what to say so he just said keep on doing what works.

:grin:

Two fingers, too funny.

Al was giving me grief about using two fingers, said he'd be happier if I used 3-4.

I said, "me too" but if you look, I'm missing that part.

:rofl:

He didn't seem to know what to say so he just said keep on doing what works.

:grin:

I used to do a lot of 'back to biking' courses, for returning riders who'd often not ridden since Brit bikes ruled (well, in all the world except Harleyland ;) ).

We used to plonk them onto BMWs, and by the end of the day they'd be whizzing happily along the lanes and back roads.

But, of course, the Beemer foot controls are on the 'wrong' side for the Britbike-trained brain, even when dragging back memories from 30 years earlier . . .

So we joked "Ho Ho, we have an operation to swap your feet over!"

Until the day the one-legged rider arrived for training . . .

He did a session on a GS, then bought a K1200LT :)

Having taken the ERC several times around here I concur Shawn, they've always endorsed the counter steer method. That said, the range that's used is a low speed "parking lot" affair so I don't think it was necessarily inappropriate to endorse that method. If they start doing something more like Ride Smart then hopefully they will promote the kiss method more. Since taking Ride Smart around 5 years ago (you were an instructor), I've enjoyed riding more and have much more confidence than in the past.

Funny side note, the last ERC I took, one of the instructors asked me why, for such an accomplished rider, I had such wide chicken strips on my tires. :dopeslap: It was all I could do to keep it together. :grin:

Shawn

Funny side note, the last ERC I took, one of the instructors asked me why, for such an accomplished rider, I had such wide chicken strips on my tires. :dopeslap: It was all I could do to keep it together. :grin:

Answer; they aren't chicken strips, they're smart strips. I've used that line & the looks I get are priceless.

"Answer; they aren't chicken strips, they're smart strips. I've used that line & the looks I get are priceless"

I love that! :thumbsup:

Having taken the ERC several times around here I concur Shawn, they've always endorsed the counter steer method. That said, the range that's used is a low speed "parking lot" affair so I don't think it was necessarily inappropriate to endorse that method. If they start doing something more like Ride Smart then hopefully they will promote the kiss method more. Since taking Ride Smart around 5 years ago (you were an instructor), I've enjoyed riding more and have much more confidence than in the past.

Shawn

That is why MSF is doing ARC................

Archived