IGNORED

Battery Questions

Jim Moore

I got a look at my battery yesterday. What a mess! Both terminals are covered in corrosion and the corrosion has leaked down all over the battery tray and onto the air filter housing. I have a couple of questions for the electrical guys.

1. What causes the corrosion?

2. Do I need a new battery? It's 3 1/2 years old and it seems to be working fine, but I can't believe that corrosion is a good sign.

3. Is the Odyssey PC 680 still the way to go? I looked a t a few on the internet yesterday. I did not see any "posts" on the battery in the pictures. Are they screw in? Is there any issue connecting the PC-680 to the GS? I saw a bunch for sale on ebay by the same guy. He has 37 negative feedbacks so I'm a little suspicious. Has anyone else dealt with him?

a chemical engineer friend of mine told me that the corrosion around battery terminals is usually caused by a small crack in the case or a leak around the post itself. Once a leak starts it cant be fixed.

I have had the Odyssey on my bike for about 3 years with absolutely no problems and will buy another when this one fails. No advice on the ebay seller. Good luck.

Archived