IGNORED

865lucas

I am a new member. I have been on this site about once a week since 10/05, but wanted to see what it was about before I joined.

I bought my r1200rt late 8/05. It is the silver on dark silever, have the 49l trunk, Autocom, Roady II satelite, Street Pilot III GPS. I am considering geting aftermarket seats, but hope to get some advice here before I make a move.

I decided to join as this looks to be one of the best forums around. I have join forums before and got too much spam, etc.

Hello to everyone;

Lucas

welcome. this is a very good forum for advice on things such as an aftermarket seat for instance. Im partial to Corbin but a lot of others swear by Russell cycle seats. I also like Wunderlich because they make low seats for my GS and RT to lower the overall seat height without compromising comfort or ride quality. The forum has been very helpful to me. Use it often

Welcome aboard! I'm one of the contrary smartazzes here but I learn a lot and enjoy controversy and dry senses of humor. One thing there is no controversy about, to me, is that BMW motorcycles can be an absolute blast. You'll enjoy the RT. There's one of the faster ones in my garage...red, LOL!

Enjoy!

Welcome Lucas. I haven't gotten one piece of spam since landing here. I haven't put a custom seat on my R1200RT yet but I know it will be a Russell when I do. I had a Day Long Saddle made for my 1985 K100 that really made a difference. Feel free to get your feet wet & remember, we love pics here.

Hey Luke..

Great choice of bike! Regarding the seat.. out here in Kalifornika, we have a couple of choices to get custom-made seats: Corbin and Mayer for example are both here, and we can ride in, get the seat custom fitted and ride off the same day. Since that kind of custom fitting is most likely not available to you, I would suggest hooking up with local R12 riders and checking out other guys' seats to see what fits your 'fancy' and style the best before you buy. There's a world of diffrence between an off-the-rack aftermarket seat and one that is custom shaped for your own derriere! blush.gif

Historically there has been a long-running DIS-agreement on which aftermarket seat is the 'best'. Same way for all genera of bikes..cruisers, nakeds, sports, you name it, we all have the same discussions.

SO..try before you buy.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

I'd like to thank every one for their response and welcoming me. I have had Corbins before and do like them, but they are heavy and wide for me. I have short legs. I will consider Corbin regardless, but want to explore other vendors. I contacted Sargent's a couple of months ago and was told that it would take a year before they had a seat for the 1200RT.

I have installed the reflective tape on my saddle bags and trunk. I got it from Fernando. He gave me excellent service. I recomend the reflective stickers, they are dark and will blend with the gray or any dark color of the paint, but will reflext very well when bright light hits the reflective surface.

I had problems with my fule sending unit within 1000 miles after I purchased the bike. I bought a demo with 2400 miles. The dealer fixed the problem very professionally, I got an R1150R loaner for a couple of days while the part came in. Very nice bike also on the back roads, did not enjoy it on the slab. Was glad to have a chance to try it.

I am not happy with the electronic oil sensor. It will report the !, any time my level falls to the center dot on the window. I seem to be burning about 1qt of oil every 1200 miles. I have now 5,500 miles.

Regards to all;

Lucas.

Welcome aboard! Seriously good forum here. Some incredibly knowledged members. Fernando, in fact, introduced me to it. Be wary of him, though. Every time I see him, my kids' chances of going to college get slimmer! wink.gif From what I have seen on multiple threads here, oil usage in the beginning on the hexhead is quite normal. But, like fine wine, the bike gets better with age. Before I changed the oil at 3300 miles, the oil was down to the bottom of the sight glass and no warning indicator. That I would get checked. Glad you're actually riding the RT, unlike those people who buy their show pony bike and leave 'em in the garage. The RT is a great bike (I hear! wink.gif)

Trust me, you'll find answers to all your RT questions here.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with the oil usage, it is in spec, but all my other BM's are/were very oil frugal. The oil sensor thing seems to be a comon complaint on this board. I will tell my shop at the 6k service, but don't have high hopes for it to be solved.

I do try to ride the bike, after all it is a sport tourer+. I rode today, it was 32F when we left, 51F when I got home. My budies were on GS's, Triumph ST, Guzzi LeMans. I was very toasty on the RT with the heated seat, bars, and Girbing. I had no Girging heat after the temperature hit 45F. It is an amazing bike for New England.

I find my feet do not stay as warm as on my unfaired BMW R65. I think all the plastic around the cylinders keep the heat away from the old toes.

Lucas.

Hey there, Welcome and your going to have a good time in this forum. Heck I remember back when I used to be a "Just Joined", wow how time flies. I am now a "Newer Member" and before to long you will be one too...hehe Ok all stupidness aside this is a great forum...a wealth of information resides in here.

Thanks.

By the way guys, I have sent the $50 deposit to KonTour Seats to hold a January date to get the driver seat done. It is a pricier seat, but the information on the website seems to be base in very good engineering. If anyone has anything to say about KoTour, please let me know now before I plunge the $475 more to get the seat re-done. I have been e-mailing them back and forth to get the date setup and so far they seem to be very professional thumbsup.gif.

Regards to all;

Lucas.

Lucas,

Go for it! I've had mine for 3-4 moths & love it more every day. I don't even notice it's there - perfectly comfortable. Plus it looks great - not "tractor" like & allow you to move around should you desire. By far the best seat I've ever owned (I've used Rick Mayer & Bill Mayer seats as well as stock). I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. Enjoy!!!!

Archived