IGNORED

2004 K1200GT Temp Gauge concern

Travolous

I have had this bike now for 1 riding season. I rode it enough this summer to notice that my temp gauge doesn't go over half way. Recently, I noticed my temp gauge go 3/4 (half way between half and red) and I was concerned. My coolant level was at 'minimum' so I added some distilled water. My fan fuse is ok. I started the bike and let it idle yesterday which was 60 degrees outside. After 10 minutes the temp gauge was half way between half and red (3/4 up) and neither of my fans had come on. Is that a normal operating temperature for anybody else?

My fans come on at the point of about 7/8 towards red. The bottom of the needle will just about touch the bottom edge of the red triangle.

If you run at higher rpms, the needle moves up there as well. In track times where I am running at 7-9k in 2nd and 3rd, the needle lives just below the point of fans coming on. (this is whether 100 degrees or 70 degrees) In slow and speed up and slow traffic if I use 1st or 2nd gear to speed up 20-40 and hold and slow down with engine revs, it moves into this area as well. It almost seems (my guess ) that when there isn't optimal air, the engine pumps a lot of water quickly through the radiators and it doesn't cool. You can see this perhaps if traffic is running around 55-60, slip it into second gear and run it for a mile or so.

I also will have the gauge move up to the fan spot in stop and go and idle traffic

Fans come on just when you start to worry. Get used to it. Hold your hands over each air vent on the fairing when the fans are running and you will feel that both fans are working.

Enjoy the bike!!!!!! It is a very different and fun bike when keeping the revs above 5000

Steady cruising at 80 in 100 degree temps in 6th will have my gauge just above the mid mark. At 80 mph at 30 degrees has it just below the mid mark.

NCS

One day a week I take a long lunch. There is a small group of us that eats unch, noon, every Wednesday, A Gracious Plenty, Corner of S Alston and Cornwallis, RTP. It takes me 17 min to get there. I call ahead around 11 so my order is ready. See agraciousplentyinc.com Some come on bikes, some in 4 wheels. Join in???? Meet up at the on ramp from Edwards Mill (at 11:40? 11:45? 11:50?) and ride over together???

NCS

Dennis Andress

It's been my experience that as these thermostats age, they fail to completely close. The temp gauge takes a long time to reach normal, and on a cold day the gauge may never get past 1/3 of the way up.

Yeah, that may be true Dennis! My biggest concern was that I have been riding all summer and havn't noticed this happening. I also have recently been noticing a "hot smell" that wasn't there previously. That is what concerns me the most even though my temp gauge is not going into danger levels, I still have not dealt with that until the very recently. I also have had recent services up to my current mileage of 21k.

When I pull into work I don't notice a hot smell. When I pull into home drive with leaves, crushed up twigs and hickory nut shells, I get a hot burning smell. It is from the debris the rear wheel throws up on the catalytic converter. The parking at work is nice and clean.

Might this be your situation to?

Off to A Gracious Plenty for lunch in a moment. Join in as you can!

NCS

Archived