IGNORED

break in oil on R1200RT

Buckster

Does anyone have info on the break in oil used by BMW in the R1200RT (brand, weight, additives). I would like to change the oil and filter at 25 miles then finish the break in.

Im Curious, why not wait the full 600 before removing the breakin oil, heck...from what I understand, it takes a whole bunch of miles before it stops burning the oil and breaks in.

There is no specific brake in oil in the R1200's, just use any good 20-50 dyno oil, does not have to be motorcycle specific as the Boxers have a dry automotive type clutch. I usually wait until about 200 miles for the first change, change while hot and immediately after a ride, check the sight glass to verify that the engine is hot enough so as the thermostat is open.

I did my first change at 600 miles and use 10-40 oil now.

Let it go until the 600 mile mark.

Your not gaining anything by changing it out at 25 miles.

My dealer and most people here say just follow BMW's oil change plan. Look around here and see what kind of longevity people have had with BMW's. I just do what my dealer says and plan to continue. My 1200RT runs great and the oil useage is very low at 6800 miles now. It seems to be breaking in faster than some.

Just ride that machine hard...it likes that.

Does anyone have info on the break in oil used by BMW in the R1200RT (brand, weight, additives). I would like to change the oil and filter at 25 miles then finish the break in.
Survived-til-now

Recommend you are careful with this idea of changing the break-in oil early. New R1200RT's (like rest of 1200's I guess) are shipped with a very pale yellow running-in oil. Dealers here (UK) change it for castrol GP (a mineral oil) at 600 miles and then only put in semi-synthetic Castrol GPS at 6000 miles (SAE 10-40 API SG JASO MA).

I am told that if you don't break them in this way they eat oil for ever and the oil consumption is high for the first few thopusands then settles down.

A further thought - when I had an 1150RT I tried Motul fully-synthetic 15/50 oil but the dealer told me to take it out because it was too thick. It probably wasn't a co-incidence but the exhaust valves burnt out shortly after (BMW paid even though it was out of warranty). The R1200RT runs a lot cooler than the 1150RT and has increased oil circulation and sodium filled valves. What I think this adds up to is that with higher compression and more revs the oil viscosity is critical in cooling so I'd stick strictly to the BMW recommendation.

I would second survived_til_now's comments on break in oil. My certified BMW mechanic told me there is a very fine oil shipped with them for break in. The critical seating of the rings etc is going on and this break in oil is the best for assisting in this process. I would think you would run the risk of having things not seat properly and buring more oil than normal post break-in, not to mention it may even void the warranty if anything bad happened and the dealer fund a different oil in there for break in.

Survived-til-now

SC Jack

You asked where all this about oil comes from?

The simple answer is my BMW dealer - why are you so sure you are right about this and the dealer is wrong. I cannot think why they should feel me a load of bull on something so straighforward?

I'd like to know so please reply

Regards

Unless there has been a recent change in BMW's policy re. the factory oil fill, BMW twins have been filled with 20w50 dino oil for a loooooooong time. Deans BMW, who responded earlier in this thread was the owner of a large, very successful BMW motorcycle dealership in CA for many years. Please note that what he wrote in his post above. I have been riding Beemers since 1976 and I have never known BMW to change this policy. I don't know what brand they're using at present but for many years they put Castrol 20w50 in the crankcase and chances are, that's what's still in there from the factory.

Personally, for the last 20 years, I've run synthetic oil in every new Beemer I've bought from the 600 mile change and forward. I've never had a leaky seal and never had a bike with excessive oil consumption. They all used a little oil until around 8-10k miles and then leveled off to using none to just a tiny amount. This subject has been widely discussed on this board and many others and many people have many opinions., however when it comes to break-in oil from the factory: I've never heard other than what I wrote above from people who REALLY know.

Odd.

Chicago BMW told me that there was, indeed, a special "break in oil" in my new '05 RT.

Is this one of those things that dealers tell customers just to be certain that they return for the $ 250.00 milking?

Interesting...

My idea was to change the oil and filter after the first 25 - 30 miles to remove any metals that came loose during the initial startup. I wanted to replace the oil with the same break in oil installed by BMW, if I could find out what that oil was. Thanks for all the advice. Buck

Why don't you email BMWNA and see if they have made a change (after all these years) with the R1200 series?

When this question came up on another forum several months ago, someone posted that his dealer told him that the new 1200's were being filled with synthetic at the factory. He had no evidence of that but there's always an outside chance that BMW has made a change to something other than what they've done for many years.

If you find out, please post it.

Thanks! thumbsup.gif

Odd.

Chicago BMW told me that there was, indeed, a special "break in oil" in my new '05 RT.

Is this one of those things that dealers tell customers just to be certain that they return for the $ 250.00 milking?

Interesting...

My dealer told me my new RT had a special break-in oil in it as well. Could they all be wrong?

Here's a letter from BMWNA written in September of last year to a member of another forum:

Dear Enthusiast:

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding oil for your R 1200 C. All BMW motorcycles imported to the USA come from the factory with petroleum based Castrol oil (20W50) in the crankcases. We recommend the continued use of Castrol 20W50 throughout the life of the motorcycle. If you choose to switch to synthetic oil, we recommend doing so at 6,000 miles or later.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Regards,

BMW Motorrad USA

Archived