IGNORED

Most of a 24k (at 28k! oops)

SDMike

Got the bike warmed up, and slightly cooled down so as not to burn my fingers and awaaaay we went.

Drained this and that. Refilled the same. Changed spark plugs (did they EVER need it!), and put the bodywork back on 'cause it was getting dark and I don't have a garage.

Didn't do a TB sync, the fuel filter, or a brake system bleed. 'Cause I don't have one or the other of the required toolz or containers to do them.

Working on these boxers gets easier and easier every time I do it.

Next weekend: fuel filter and TB sync. Sometime 'soon' brake system flush.

M

Are you thinking of checking the valves?
Did that. Only one was slightly tight. Went thru and adjusted it 'just 'cause.'

Y'know, its funny... The bike's got a deeper rumble to it now. Can't explain it other than new plugs = better burn = ?

M

If you adjusted the valves at all, a TB sync would be a good thing. I've got a Twinmax in Carlsbad and would be glad to help you with the first one if you'd like to ride up this weekend. PM me if you want to come over.

It's good to have someone help you with the first one since time is important in order not to overheat anything.

Cheers,

Jerry

Changed spark plugs (did they EVER need it!)

Mike, assuming you have a twin-spark engine, did you notice any major difference between the condition of the primary (NGK) and secodary (Bosch) spark plugs? I just had my 40,000 km (24,000 mile) service done on my 04 RT. The primary plugs were clean and dry; the secondary plugs were black and covered with carbon. I don't understand how two spark plugs from the same cylinder can be in such different condition. Because it's the weekend, I was not able to talk to the BMW tech that did the service.

Anybody out there have a good explanation as to why two spark plugs from the same cylinder can be in such different condition - one appearing normal, the other appearing to show signs of an overly rich mixture??

T

Archived