IGNORED

Source for star (torx) socket set.

steve.foote

Harbor Freight has a complete set of star sockets for those crazy torx bolts on the hex heads. It's item 05931, made by Pittsburgh and called 8pc Impact Star Socket Set. Sizes include T6, T7, T8, T10, T12, T14 & T16. Cost $5.99.

I couldn't find it on their website, but it is at their store in Savannah, and I'd expect to find it in most of the other stores.

Great price! My friendly Ace Hardware handyman got me for $25 for a 12 piece. But I needed it to put on the topcase! The good thing is you can carry all the bits in a very small bag ie. gap bag along with a 1/4" driver. BTW, if you do long tours, check to see that it has the size (don't remember which one it is) for the oil drain plug. Found out the other evening that my $25 was at least spent on a complete set for the bike. Check out the tool kit on R1200GS.com. He has a complete list of all the torx sizes needed. thumbsup.gif But, thanks for the lead on Harbor Freight!

Ya gotta watch the Harbor Freight stuff. Some of the tools they sell are made of what we used to call "manureium" grin.gif - you know, like from manure? Use them a few times around the garage to see if they round off and bend easily before you pack them on the bike and have to rely on them on a trip in the middle of nowhere in the dark.

Don`t use the cheap stuff. It will round out the heads of the screws and you will hate life.

Buy something worth using and your fasteners will live long. The local parts stores have some decent stuff.

The best stuff for the money would be Crapsman Tools @ sears.. grin.gif

Ya gotta watch the Harbor Freight stuff. Some of the tools they sell are made of what we used to call "manureium" grin.gif - you know, like from manure? Use them a few times around the garage to see if they round off and bend easily before you pack them on the bike and have to rely on them on a trip in the middle of nowhere in the dark.

That is sometimes true, but I have a set of Allen and Torx sockets from HF, at $6 each set, and they have held up amazingly well. I was going to replace them with Craftsman, but have yet to break one no matter how hard I try!

Jim cool.gif

That is sometimes true, but I have a set of Allen and Torx sockets from HF, at $6 each set, and they have held up amazingly well. I was going to replace them with Craftsman, but have yet to break one no matter how hard I try!

Jim cool.gif

That's good to hear, Jim. Sounds like you got a decent set. Like I say, their quality of tools can realy vary wildly, so it pays ot be cautious.

How is the fit of torx bit to fastener? Much slop there?

FWIW, I bought a nice set at Sears, and also picked up a less expensive set at the local auto parts store (Lappens, who were just bought out by AutoZone). In this case, the auto parts store set seems just as good.

Jim cool.gif

That's good to hear, Jim. Sounds like you got a decent set. Like I say, their quality of tools can realy vary wildly, so it pays ot be cautious.

How is the fit of torx bit to fastener? Much slop there?

FWIW, I bought a nice set at Sears, and also picked up a less expensive set at the local auto parts store (Lappens, who were just bought out by AutoZone). In this case, the auto parts store set seems just as good.

The fit has been fine. I use them on my new GS and on my old one, as well as many other people's bikes.

Certainly the Craftsman fit and finish is better, as is many auto parts store tools, (I like Autozone tools as well), but for $6 a set, they have been amazingly good.

Jim cool.gif

If I were a professional mechanic, I would have to agree. With HF, you get the good with the bad. But, it is usually obvious from the get go.

On average, I would say I have been satisfied with the tools I have purchased from them. In fact, I can't remember throwing away anything I've bought there, but have passed on somethings which just didn't "look" right.

The star socket set fits well and should be more than enough to handle the torque values for these fasteners. Heck, I doubt I'll use any of them more than a few times over the life of the bike. I think the only sizes needed are E8 & E10.

Archived