IGNORED

GS Toolbox

namtinker

Since my "toolbox" under the seat is filled with a fusebox, I required another one.

A little Dremel surgery, some Rick's (Kildala) goodies, a few bolts, a latch and some drilled holes later, and I had my lockable toolbox.

Solid as a rock, And everything else fits normally.

What do you think?

603582-IMGP0022a.JPG.9133c0d16bc031100d9072344b35367b.JPG

Since my "toolbox" under the seat is filled with a fusebox, I required another one.

A little Dremel surgery, some Rick's (Kildala) goodies, a few bolts, a latch and some drilled holes later, and I had my lockable toolbox.

Solid as a rock, And everything else fits normally.

What do you think?

Looks like a winner. What kinda box did that USED to be? Was it ready-made or did you fab it up yourself? thumbsup.gif

Greg

I think Rick would be able to provide the boxes. They are custom built. I used an existing item from him to implement my idea. Works great, so with a few minor adjustments in the "production" run and some basic installation instructions, installing it will be a breeze. The required Dremel surgery is not reversible though! Included is another view.

603622-IMGP0023a.JPG.8f9909b3c6931dc334f740560c690b17.JPG

I think it is a great idea. A little dressing up with a smaller hasp/lock or slap in a keyed cylinder and it would be extremely slick!

and.. maybe turn the door upside down so that you can see into it better, and maybe a cable to hold it from flapping all the way down so as to serve as a small tray when open. clap.gif

Hey Namtinker, where did you get the black tank protector? Does anyone else have any tank protector thingys (the scientific term) to keep my blue from getting scratched? Clear, possibly?

The lid opens that way because the hinge does not interfere with the original carrier. The overlap on the lid will interfere. If the box is moved sideways to leave clearance for the lid, it will interfere with the standard pannier (not with any Zega/Touratech alu boxes though). I wanted maximum usable space and max stifness in installation - which meant as little space as possible above and below the box.

But one can easily fit a bungi cord to the carrier to loop around the lid to keep it open.

Gelstra - what you see is not a tank protector, although it incidently serves the purpose. It is the velcro section of my tank bag.

Hey Namtinker, where did you get the black tank protector? Does anyone else have any tank protector thingys (the scientific term) to keep my blue from getting scratched? Clear, possibly?

There's these things.

tankprotector.jpg

I farked up the paint a little just behind the filler cap dopeslap.gif and added this protector. I'm glad I did actually. I like the way it looks, and I use the tank bag enough to justify it's presence.

3M also makes a clear film you could cut to fit the area just up from the seat, if that's all you want to protect.

The lid opens that way because the hinge does not interfere with the original carrier. The overlap on the lid will interfere. If the box is moved sideways to leave clearance for the lid, it will interfere with the standard pannier (not with any Zega/Touratech alu boxes though).

Ah.. makes sense. Thanks!

Archived