IGNORED

May the Force be with you... always?

Pat Buzzard

I have always prided myself on being situationaly aware of the cages around me and riding as defensively as possible at all times, but lately I have been noticing that often as not I can predict when someone is going to do something stupid on the road. I cannot explain it but it is almost as if I know someone is going to pull out in front of me, unexpectedly change lanes or other potentially dangerous moves. Not that I would ever get complacent, but there have been times where I am already off the throttle and preparing to downshift prior to the offending vehicle even making their move. Has anyone ever noticed this phenomena? Am I just getting so in tune to my surroundings that I'm picking up on existing behavior that's allowing me to guess what they're going to do next? Am I using the force? :)

Nice n Easy Rider
I have always prided myself on being situationaly aware of the cages around me and riding as defensively as possible at all times, but lately I have been noticing that often as not I can predict when someone is going to do something stupid on the road. I cannot explain it but it is almost as if I know someone is going to pull out in front of me, unexpectedly change lanes or other potentially dangerous moves. Not that I would ever get complacent, but there have been times where I am already off the throttle and preparing to downshift prior to the offending vehicle even making their move. Has anyone ever noticed this phenomena? Am I just getting so in tune to my surroundings that I'm picking up on existing behavior that's allowing me to guess what they're going to do next? Am I using the force? :)

I think I've noticed the same "phenomena' but I simply attribute it to my belief that it you experience something on numerous occasions you can begin to anticipate what's coming. And the potentially-dangerous behaviors of others you describe are ones that I think most motorcyclists who have survived experience relatively frequently. :(

Danny caddyshack Noonan

When a LEO on a motor, I noticed the exact same thing after a year or so of a lot of city riding. I'd leave a position for no apparent reason and something would happen that reinforced that decision. I went with it.

Trust the force

Has anyone ever noticed this phenomena? Am I just getting so in tune to my surroundings that I'm picking up on existing behavior that's allowing me to guess what they're going to do next? Am I using the force?

Yes

Yes

Yes

This is just my opinion....

You've cut down the parts of a second available to you for reaction time. It feels good when we protect our hide. It has an affirming feeling, somewhere in the pleasure zone in the brain. While it is unnerving.... there is that little plus...and then we get to go home.

By the same token, I believe there is more stupidity and lack of motoring responsibility out there than ever before. We score more *you can't get me*'s as a result.

The subconscious part of your brain is working without intruding into your awareness......Rational decisions are made down there based on subtle input from sources you are not (Consciously) aware of.

I quit riding for a time in my life when I was not riding often enough to keep the rust knocked of this "Sixth sense". I have to work at making sure it is working adequately each spring, now that I live with winter ice and snow. Trust it.......It works.

Some of it is prejudice. I'm pre-judging someone's behavior based on past experence with others in simular situations. It's likely that someone in that lane will try to force their way into mine so they can make a turn at the next light. Liklihood goes up if it's an SUV or pick up. It's almost assured if it's a Lincoln Navigator or Cadillac Escalade.

When does it quit being prejudice and become experience?

----

It is that sixth sense that one acquires with many years and miles on the saddle. It can not be taught in a motorcycle class.

For me, I make it a point to not get caught in a drivers blind spot. I'm very, very aware of a left turning car in front of me. I'm also very aware of an auto coming up to a stop sign to my right. In a split second, I'm noticing if the wheels are rolling slowly threw the stop sign, does the driver see me?, what are my surroundings if I have to make a defensive move. It's not 100% foolproof, but it's saved my skin on more than one occasion.

Hate to ruin the idea of supernatural powers at work but it's actually nothing more than your brain.

For example in many years of riding your subconscious has noticed driver type X is more likely to refuse to yield or that a person driving car type Y may be more likely to exhibit erratic behavior so it immediately sends a "warning notice" to the rest of the brain after receiving input. Without noticing your brain has "trained itself" as to speak.

It's exactly the same way an experienced farmer or hunter can tell the weather is about to change without looking at the forecast.

The big problem in this situation is to "keep yourself on the edge" as to speak and too rely too much on the subconscious because, plainly put, it can blunder, a lot.

It's what they used to call "Defensive Driving" back in driver's education.

Had it pay off for me in the cage yesterday. I was following a couple in a large SUV who went into a decreasing radius off ramp. There was a light drizzle, roads had been wet for a while and the inattentive SUV pilot lost the back end, over corrected and hit the 6 foot jersey wall head on about 30mph and flipped over.

I realized he was in bad shape going in so I lifted and gave him margin. By the time they were done sliding I had the hazards on, traffic stopped and the EMT in the truck behind me beat me to the scene and took over so I relayed information to rescue.

I think it's more a maturation of skills. To subconsciously recognize a type of situation and mitigate your risks associated with it automatically.

That's the biggest payoff from rider/driver training and education.

For me it is the assumption that every cager on the road is either crazy, asleep, angry, drugged up or drunk....and assume they are about to do something stupid.

For me it is the assumption that every cager on the road is either crazy, asleep, angry, drugged up or drunk....and assume they are about to do something stupid.

OR, dialing, texting, eating, applying make up, shaving. I've seen it all and more.

For myself it's Beemers, Benz's & Audis. Driving an expensive car doesn't make them good drivers. They also seem to drive with a sense of resentment of the traffic that's afflicting everyone else. I always keep a close eye on them. :thumbsup:

Around here, when someone does something exceedingly dumb or arrogant, the vehicle usually turns out to be sporting a Texas plate. I watch out for them now.

Archived