IGNORED

07 K1200GT service

Grey Ghost

I bought an '07 K1200GT 12K mi 2 months ago, I plan to do my own service at the 18K. I am used to doing R-bike service but am reasonably unfamiliar with the K-bike proceedures, I have heard that the radiator is a problem to refill properly. Any suggestions or advice on how to prepare or learn the procedures would be apperciated.

Any one know how to service the abs system? Mine is showing a brake failure which they said was the abs pump going out.

All brake sseem to be normal and the light is off in the mornings and come on in the afternoon on the ride home, brakes seem unaffected. It started 4 days after I took it home and I have been informed that it is my problem unless I wish to pay approx. $2300 for them to replace it. Thank You BMW service dept.

Thanks for any suggestions or assistance.

Not bike specific information. Have talked to my mechanic (an independent) about the ABS stuff. I have an 03 K-RS. He reports (hearsay I know) that over time, he has had bikes brought to him starting to exhibit signs like that where others had indicated, just get the new part for $2300. He indicated that a very rigorous flushing as well as checking all sensors and connectors will often get them to working again. He says it does take some time to make sure everything is right. It sounds like you are up for that task.

I've replaced the plugs and the coolant (50,000km). Not hard and this is my first K bike after years on the RT.

You need a vacuum pump (about $120) to ensure that no air enters your coolant system. I got mine from http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/uv550000.html

Post #16 here on the K bike site shows how to do it.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13670&page=2&pp=10&highlight=coolant+change

like the man said you probably have to do it a time or two to get all the steps in the proper order. Looks simple enough with the proper tools, I have 4K mi to acquire parts and tools and figure out bleed procedure for ABS system. Nothing like having a project to help occupy your free time!

The bleeding of the brake system was kind of a given since the problem seems to be intermittent. They supposedly did all the recalls on the bike including the front brake lines but after seeing the quality of their work I will be doing a complete change out of all fluids and checking everything I can.

Thank you very much for the input it helps. Anything else comes to mind sing out. I need all the help I can get.

looks like the ABS flush is the same procedure as the R1150RT that I had, I have all the tools necessary for that and the radiator kit is on the way. No biggies so far. Has anyone found a place to buy the spark plugs other than BMW?

For the plugs and such, did you check beemerboneyard?

I would also encourage you to perhaps flush the brake system sooner rather than later.

Let us know how it goes.

NCS

Archived