IGNORED

R1200ST Mods. / Accessories.

wilsons

So I ask all of you R1200ST Riders out there:

1). What mods do you currently have on your bike? (with link if possible).

2). What mods do you plan on getting, or want to get? (with link if possible).

1).

a). Verholen Bar Risers (I finally found em!!)

b). Remus Titanium Exhaust Kit Found no good direct link to them, their site sucks frown.gif

2).

a). Some neat bar looking thing like this here (rocketbunny was lookin at it). That may not work for me with my bar risers however. hrm.

b). Parabellum Windshield

c). Moto Lights

d). Led lights that go over the spark plug covers. They're neat smile.gif

e). GIVI Top case. THIS thing is COOL thumbsup.gif

f). Throttle Meister Hopefully I'll get this for xmas grin.gif

Anyone know if it would be possible to put an under-the-seat exhaust kit on the ST. That would just be killer in my book on top of showing off the floating wheel. smile.gif

Interested to see what you all have in mind!

Thanks.

So I ask all of you R1200ST Riders out there:

Shawn I will answer in on particular order and no links, I do home grown mods personally.

1). What mods do you currently have on your bike? (with link if possible).

a.) My own throttle lock, similar in design to what Bob's Bmw sells except mine is all

Stainless Steel with an aluminum knurl knob.

b.) R1150RS frontwheel mud flap attached to original mudflap to give an extra 3" hanging

down to keep road trash off the bike.

c.) Tourmaster tankbag

d.) Black Sheepskin for long trips.

e.) Clear 3M film used on headlights I put on the backside of the gastank cover center stripe

to prevent belly-rub marks. grin.gif

2). What mods do you plan on getting, or want to get? (with link if possible).

a.) Gadget guy type mount for my GPS. I will make my own, I like his basic design, but there

details I would like done differently for my purposes.

b.) Rear Trunk. A friend gave me a pair of Nonfango? bags to pay for work I did for him.

with no mounts, so I will convert one to a trunk.

c.) Radar detector mount. I have an idea how to do this.

d.) Staintune muffler, when available, unless I can score a a used stock system to dink with.

e.) Motolights with dichronic bulbs(yellow) for visibility.

There is a repetittive theme here about DIY. I have a work and hobby history of fabricating and machining. I just bought a small lathe and a small milling machine for home use. I went to "design and engineering" career wise and had to adjust for no machine access.

Interested to see what you all have in mind!

Thanks.

Shawn, I just received and installed the Verholen bar entenders. Great enginering, the quality control has Govt.

inspection and certification, but besides all that, they work! Doesn't alter the geometry.

Down side - by replacing the feed tube from the reservoir I have to have the brakes bled @ 150 + $; you can't do it yourself it needs the computer analysis to maintain waranty, in the end it improves the bike for me. thumbsup:

Ariene,

I had them already on the bike from the dealer, and I may lower them but am unsure yet. Reason I may lower them is due to how my weight is distributed across the bike with the bars raised up, its more on my tail bone. and thats a tad bit bothersome at times. I noted that when I lowered my body position to where the bars normally would about be the little lower back issue went away.

Not sure what I wanna do yet as I'm still getting used to the bike and will give them a very good chance and for me to learn the bike.

To reverse the modification would require the original sliders and clips, they shouldn't be expensive, but at shops rates the reversal might be.

Ariene

R1200ST Siver Blue C Bailey windscreen ABS Heated grips

R1100R SE

R65 Euro

R27 Euro

Shawn, I just received and installed the Verholen bar entenders. Great enginering, the quality control has Govt.

inspection and certification, but besides all that, they work! Doesn't alter the geometry.

Down side - by replacing the feed tube from the reservoir I have to have the brakes bled @ 150 + $; you can't do it yourself it needs the computer analysis to maintain waranty, in the end it improves the bike for me. thumbsup:

That's not true. By law, if a bike requires something only the dealer has, to maintain warranty, it must be free to the consumer. Therefore, either you have them do it for free, or it isn't needed.

From my experience, you can do it yourself, and the computer will never know nor care.

Jim cool.gif

Surely I can't be the only one who has lowered his handlebars? I also have the full Remus, tankbag and system cases from San Jose BMW. clap.gif

I lowered my bars recently, which is OK but my short arms and belly really beat up my Tourmaster tankbag.

I had a lot of lower back ache on my GS. Switching to the ST that has now gone. I did wonder about the lower bar position at first, particularly being use to the GS position and I did get wrist ache for the first 1000 miles or so. Now I ride it and don't even think about any pressure on the wrists and it is one of the most comfortable bikes I have ridden. Goes to show that the body muscles get use to a more forward position after a while. I'm now about to drop the bars down one position.

I had a similar problem with the GS I'd sit on it for 10 to 15minutes (at the shop day dreaming) and my lower back would start to bother me. Ill just lean over more bending my elbows more. I just need to train myself to that and I think I will get rid of the lower back problem I get after 3 to 4 hours.

Sunday it was my upper back after about 2 hours. So I need to figure out my weight distribution across the bike. smile.gif

"I lowered my bars recently, which is OK but my short arms and belly really beat up my Tourmaster tankbag."

grin.gifgrin.gifeek.gif

What I should have said was BIG BELLY wink.gif Which is my problem, I love food, alot. tasty food even more. tongue.gif

It was working - I fooled with it, (modified) and now it doesn't. No dealer will FIX it for nothing. The warranty, which involves a pressure test can only be done with the computer. Yes, I can bleed it, but the tools (BMW) cost about $700 Both sides come off, the tank is removed, and then you get to use the $200 funnel and the + $400 brake pad adapters. I can get this done for $100 - $200 with computer check. What was your "experience".

Ariene

Love it! The stock one is pretty but --

I bought the "12.5 inches from the headlite cutout to top of the windshield." It is cold here and I can ride about with out freezing air in my face, I am 5'9" it made the bike for me (and it looks as though the design came with the bike as opposed to the add on look of the Parabellum}

Ariene,

Thanks for the reply on the Cee Bailey windshield. I agree that it looks better as I was recently at BMW of Denver and they had an ST on the floor with the Cee Bailey windshield installed. I am not sure if it was the Euro Cut or the 12.5 " cut.

I have the 11" one it works okay but I like the lower factory one. I saw a Ztechnic prototype at Lima that was the same size as the factory one but tinted and it looked quite nice. I'll probably end up selling my C.B. shield

Picture attached shows my ram mounts coming off the mirrors - with Roady XT and Garmin Quest2 on Garmin Motorcycle mount.

No comfort mods needed so far. The bars are in the high position from the dealer. I'd like to try them out in a lower position, but haven't gotten around to it.

I've been mostly running the shield in the high position, and thinking about a slightly higher shield, to get the cold air off my chest.

Did a 330 mile ride yesterday and the low seat was very comfortable.

608153-EPSN0041s.JPG.02039b41a3bee2839177df55cce3453d.JPG

Picture attached shows my ram mounts coming off the mirrors - with Roady XT and Garmin Quest2 on Garmin Motorcycle mount.

How did you mount the garmin the bike? any drilling involved?

No drilling of the bike. I used a 45degree ball on the right mirror mount angled down (had to drill out the 9mm hole on the 45degree ram mount slightly to fit the mirror thread). Attached a long RAM arm to it and then used the Garmin Quest Motorcycle mount with a Ram diamond shaped plate.

It's centered and fits comfortably below the instrument cluster without interfering too much with reaching for the key.

The gadget guy mounts might look better, but I already owned most of the components for this strategy, and I like the fact that it's rubber mounted.

Hey Rocketbunny - I just recieved a Quest and have the RAM mount base and arm like you. You mentioned you used the Garmin motorcycle mount so did you get a RAM mount ball and put it on the back of the of the Garmin cradle? Also did you use the wiring harness provided w/ the Garmin kit and go direct to the battery? - Thanks for the help - Bob

I used a RAM B-238 diamond plate ball with the Garmin Motorcycle cradle. The motorcycle cradle has 4 mounting holes, so I could have used a B-202 circle plate ball, but I had the diamond plate around from my previous GPS. I also found that having only 2 screws sticking out the rear of the mount made it easier to get the perfect angle on the cradle (actually ended up rotating the 2-hole diamond plate 90 degrees from it's initial position to make it fit better).

I'm using the wiring that came with the Garmin cradle and have it running to an accessory fuse box near my battery. I've also got an audio cable running to my starcom.

Shawn,

Got another minor modification if you don't like those hard stock hand grips like me. A friend found these and they are easy to install over the stock heated grips without messing them up. http://grip-tek.com/detail.aspx?ID=36 They also look like they could be stock grips.

Pretty sure that they will work on a R1200GS too!

George

Oh - a person in a RT mod thread suggested that the 12GS hand guards might work on the ST... anyone wanna be a guinea pig? I've gotta wait a month or two to let the finances settle down from Xmas, but handguards are definitely on my to-do list.

Nah - I've got the OEM heated grips, but guards would help too. My bike is in for 600 mile service today anyway. Maybe I'll scope out the GS guards when I go to pick it up.

I've ridden mine in a blizzard (not intentionally - oh - and a UK type "blizzard") and a few times in very heavy rain and I'm convinced that most of the windblast is kept off the hands. I'll just stick to my heated grips and waistcoat!

Christine1200ST

I am thinking about those Verholen bar risers...anyone use those yet? How much was it to bleed lines and have new line installed...the bars are $175, just want to budget this one. I'm 5'6" and think they'll help...my right hand goes numb...

Christine 1200ST, Lisa at San Jose BMW Has barbacks on her ST, ask her and sit on her bike to try them. SJBMW, I belive has the bar backs in stock and can answer all of your questions, they have also sold the most ST's in the US.

Christine1200ST

Thanks..I just saw Lisa's article in the BMW-ON magazine...BTW, anyone heading to Int'l bike show Sunday? thumbsup.gif Would love to meet up with some folks heading that way!

• 1 month later...

Archived