IGNORED

Sorry For The Interuption Folks

T.M. Roe

Sorry in advance for the intrusion.

Every so often I get to say things that others only think. Call me stupid. Don’t worry I get in plenty of trouble for it. Let me introduce myself, I’m Tom and I’m a bad influence. There that’s out of the way. As you can see by my number of posts I don’t often voice an opinion, but this is gnawing at me a bit.

Accidents.

Our coming together for what many consider the beginning of all this mess, Torrey, was an accident. It wasn’t even an RT.com event, but what happened there was magical.

Then, on a wing and a prayer, we did the first Piped Piper to the BMW National, again a magical run that ended up spawning the Tech Day phenomenon (it was all Cary’s fault).

That Tech Day spawned a wonderful moment in Gleno’s driveway and an innocent statement “ I think we need a National” and the Un was born.

Fast forward to today.

Would you think of coming into a town with the Hells Angels and enough law enforcement to make a movie set look tame? Never, but ask the guys who had Malcolm Smith stop to help them if it was a bad idea.

Sometimes we just plan the sh*t out of everything to the point of planned/guarantied fun for all. Sorry to all those I’ve offended that must plan well in advance due to work obligations, money, weather, (you get the point and so do I). Maybe the Un-Un is not for you.

Maybe its time to do something a bit less forced and just see what happens. I wouldn’t care if only a few showed up. We never gauged the success of one of those original events by how many folks showed up but by the love that was spread.

Maybe its time to just pick a spot with more to offer than showers and HBO. A tiny town in CO or the likes and see what happens. Maybe find a spot that would provide a blank canvas. I would give that a go, and believe me, I’d find fun.

I will leave you with the wise words of the great LD rider Marty Leir “always remember the adventure is rarely fun while its happening” but take it from a guy that has a head full of some of the best motorcycling memories anyone could ask for, I wouldn’t trade them for the world.

Now back to you regularly scheduled program.

Every so often I get to say things that others only think. Call me stupid. Don’t worry I get in plenty of trouble for it. Let me introduce myself, I’m Tom and I’m a bad influence. There that’s out of the way. As you can see by my number of posts I don’t often voice an opinion, but this is gnawing at me a bit.

Accidents.

Our coming together for what many consider the beginning of all this mess, Torrey, was an accident. It wasn’t even an RT.com event, but what happened there was magical.

Then, on a wing and a prayer, we did the first Piped Piper to the BMW National, again a magical run that ended up spawning the Tech Day phenomenon (it was all Cary’s fault).

That Tech Day spawned a wonderful moment in Gleno’s driveway and an innocent statement “ I think we need a National” and the Un was born.

Fast forward to today.

Would you think of coming into a town with the Hells Angels and enough law enforcement to make a movie set look tame? Never, but ask the guys who had Malcolm Smith stop to help them if it was a bad idea.

Sometimes we just plan the sh*t out of everything to the point of planned/guarantied fun for all. Sorry to all those I’ve offended that must plan well in advance due to work obligations, money, weather, (you get the point and so do I). Maybe the Un-Un is not for you.

Maybe its time to do something a bit less forced and just see what happens. I wouldn’t care if only a few showed up. We never gauged the success of one of those original events by how many folks showed up but by the love that was spread.

Maybe its time to just pick a spot with more to offer than showers and HBO. A tiny town in CO or the likes and see what happens. Maybe find a spot that would provide a blank canvas. I would give that a go, and believe me, I’d find fun.

I will leave you with the wise words of the great LD rider Marty Leir “always remember the adventure is rarely fun while its happening” but take it from a guy that has a head full of some of the best motorcycling memories anyone could ask for, I wouldn’t trade them for the world.

+1

It's high time someone pulled the reigns in on the uptightedness (is that a word?) of all this. Just because Matt & Shawn knocked it out of the park last month doesn't mean we can't drop back to a good old fashioned get-together some where west of the Big Muddy.

Find a spot, say that's where, & be done with it.

By the time we get back from Torrey, we should have a recon report or two on some of the western locations that have been suggested. Then we'll do just that. Pick a spot, put together a team of volunteers, and everyone will go and have a good time.

BTW, this thread has already triggered at least one team to step up and say they're considering a location for 2013. And we've got at least one team that says they've got a spot picked out for 2014. Noone knows yet if they'll all pan out, but people with big hearts are stepping up. I'm feeling positive. And I'm feeling proud.

Accidents.

Fast forward to today.

Hear here well said. :clap: I will UN in the summer of 2012, if I have to UN alone.

Accidents.

Fast forward to today.

Ah, Mr. Roe. There is nothing for you to apologize about. Your input to this board is always revered. And I know you were just trying to convey to everyone the simplicity behind the Un, and how such easy goals can get carried away in a fever of "wanting to do better."

As you know, in the early years of this board, whenever we got together, be it Torrey, Gleno's, Redmond MOA Rally, Christmas parties on the west coast or in Chicago, it was all about being together. The family of riders we were amassing. Spreading the love we share for our bikes, riding, and for sharing with each other.

I've made it my goal to bring the Un back to its roots. There's nothing wrong with some of the more elaborate events that have taken place. But the important thing is that we appreciate the efforts of those who put them on, yet also recognize that it's not required. A lot or a little, when we get together we have fun.

Cap'n Roe, I cant begin to tell you how refreshing it is to stumble across and individual willing to stand up and speak their mind ! In my most humble of opinions, if more folks were strong enough to do this, the USA would be a much better place to call home.

That being said, I'm all for anything that gets decided. If I can make it, GREAT!, if not, I'll live vicariously through those that were lucky enough to attend.

Keeping a gathering simple and un-over-planned makes it possible for the group as a whole to have a more relaxed, enjoyable time.

Oh, there will be seminars, alright. Here are some samples:

Which way to the good roads? (followed later in the day by. . .)

Are my chicken strips gone now?

What's that farkle do?

That's all the miles you have?

Mind if I sit on your custom saddle?

I don't have that sticker.

(and the ever popular)

Did you hear about. . .

Trust me. There will be seminars. They just won't be scheduled, and if you miss one, you'll have to start another.

Amen!

How about just picking a couple of areas with good roads and a (somewhat) temperate climate (month dependent of course!) voting on the areas on the list and then just simply meeting up!

Then everyone just plan their own stay.....

Amen!

How about just picking a couple of areas with good roads and a (somewhat) temperate climate (month dependent of course!) voting on the areas on the list and then just simply meeting up!

You can do that anytime of year.

The UN is the UN

Amen!

You can do that anytime of year.

The UN is the UN

Ed Zachary. Although the feeling philby suggests is also an important part of the Un. All we need is someone to work as the point person, negotiate some group rates (we BMW riders do like to save, do we not?), pick the dates (can you imagine putting THAT up for a vote?), and make sure we can all gather for one main meal before we say good-bye. The rest is just all of us showing up and riding together, shaking hands, and putting faces with screennames.

So, if you've got a location that meets the criteria (see first post on page 1 of the other Un thread), and you're the kind of leader who can handle simple organizational tasks, go for it and submit your proposal. The decision will be made by the Admin Team at the end of this month.

A lot of the discussion on this thread has had to do with people expressing their ideas of what the Un should be. The fact is that it is what it is, and if you want to put one on and elaborate beyond the basics, you're welcome to submit a proposal. We'd love to hear it. We just want to make sure that people understand that it doesn't have to be some hugely organized event.

But we're developing two parallel threads here, and we need to focus the discussion in just one place to help facilitate progress.

Archived