IGNORED

I almost needed new undies..

jbr7t

Back story: Lots of storms lately so some week trees and branches. Today = Windy!

So I'm on my way home from work around 7:45 / 8pm and it's dark. Got the high beams on and trying to not "overdrive" the lights. My route home is mostly back roads so pretty dark. I round a corner and there it is..a very LARGE tree branch in the middle of the road.

My eyes fix on it..I can't shake it..I'm heading right for it.

I thought for sure I was going down.

Somehow my instinct took over and the next thing I know I dropped the throttle kicked down two gears and I'm leaning hard to the left to avoid the branch. I JUST miss it...oh did I mention 2 lane road, thank God no oncoming traffic.

Target fixation is real people...overdriving your headlight is real. I hope my almost disaster can help someone learn a lesson without doing it the hardway.

Sometimes sh*t just happens. On my commute home a week ago, gettin' on the freeway, trying to work my way over to the diamond (read commute) lane..Out from under the car in front of me is a pushbroom. A LARGE pushbroom, you know, the contractor size...

I've got no recourse and no where to go. I lean to hit it square on. Bam! I'm up in the air for a sec...I think maybe I've done a rim. I look in the mirror, all I see is two pieces spinning away. I pull over to have a look. All is good, no damage. Luck with me that day, for sure.

Tough stuff out there, heads up riders.

MB>

Good Post!! Thanks for the heads up.

2 weeks ago I had the commute from HELL. A guy got out of his car in traffic and walked away causing a traffic jam (I was able to lane split past it), a contractors truck had bits and pieces flying out of the back (i had to pass him), an ambulance was in the middle lane of the highway attending to 2 munched cars, a lady cut me off while on her cell phone, the exit to my house was backed up to the highway due to road painting and I funneled 4 lanes to 1!. All this happened in 10 miles...

In a car this really would have sucked. On a motorcycle it was more like a game, a quite dangerous game. We always need to have our attention focused.

Oh, that was a horrible day at work too...

-Ryan

Yes. There is a lot of crazy stuff out there. I'll be honest I am a much more alert and defensive driver when on the bike vs. a 4wheel. There is so much available to distract us in a car/truck. Coffee, phone, passengers..etc etc. There are a lot of accidents but amazing we don't have more.

With the fire department we see some crazy stuff. My district covers several major roads thru our county as well as a piece of interstate. It definitely makes me think and keeps it in my mind to always be on the lookout!

Yes. There is a lot of crazy stuff out there. I'll be honest I am a much more alert and defensive driver when on the bike vs. a 4wheel. There is so much available to distract us in a car/truck. Coffee, phone, passengers..etc etc. There are a lot of accidents but amazing we don't have more.

With the fire department we see some crazy stuff. My district covers several major roads thru our county as well as a piece of interstate. It definitely makes me think and keeps it in my mind to always be on the lookout!

Respectfully, I do not have more distractions while in the automobile. I don't allow it. But riding has far more *Whoops, this could hurt or kill me* moments than the *Whoops, this is going to give me a flat tire* we get while driving.

Thank you for being out there helping people :thumbsup:

Danny caddyshack Noonan

When on the very dark road near my house I look for what is in the road as well as "holes". It's a bit of a roller coaster and if there are oncoming cars....well, I don't want to torch their retinas. A darker spot in the road where the road hasn't been illuminated yet is also an indicator of something there. Then there's the forest rats......

Respectfully, I do not have more distractions while in the automobile. I don't allow it. But riding has far more *Whoops, this could hurt or kill me* moments than the *Whoops, this is going to give me a flat tire* we get while driving.

Thank you for being out there helping people :thumbsup:

I agree Kathy..I was more making a general statement of drivers than me personally. I'm not the cell phone texting, note writing, newspaper reading type driver either. I just feel that on the bike I am more alert because of the "Whoops this could kill me" than with that big safe cage around me. But, even with the cage I would venture to say I am a more defensive driver than many out there.

And Tim..yes I think I used the brakes too a little. It all happened quickly.

Archived