IGNORED

Question.... clutch plate thickness when new ?

TREE

Is that for the '94 RS??? Original clutch still in it?

If so, I wasn't ever able to find that number (for Jan's '96 RT). BMW redesigned the cluch in Dec 97 to give longer life and changed the thickness of the disc. BMW says that when you upgrade to this new disc you need to replace the pressure plate as well.

For what it's worth, the thickness on the new disc I put into Jan's '96 RT this last summer was 5.79mm (0.231")

Lone_RT_rider
For what it's worth, the thickness on the new disc I put into Jan's '96 RT this last summer was 5.79mm (0.231")

For the record, I measured the new one at 0.237" before I installed it a few weeks back at the ATL tech day. The old one was measured at 0.189" (installed) and 0.201" when not under compression. Since I was that far in while doing the spline lube, I decided to replace it anyway. The bike has 78,000 miles and the disk could have probably gone another 50,000 miles easily.

Shawn

Thanks Stan. I have a spare RT disc with 5.7mm left on it, '96 I believe.

Seller said there was 14K on it, sounds about right.

My RS has 62K miles, need to do a spline check and lube this winter so I got some parts on hand now if I need them.

Sounds like it's almost new.

If you currently have any slipping at all I would also replace the clutch spring. It's fairly cheap.

I would consider having the final drive pivot bearings on hand too. Even if they feel OK on the bike, they may need to be replaced once you get a look at them.

Good luck

Stan

I have all the clutch parts plus the flywheel from the RT.

I heard some of the final drive bearings are hard to get, needle bearings maybe........ can't remember,

He makes Bushings from 660 oillite bronze

Actually I think he buys them from someone else. No matter. Anything he says is good is just that. He is a gold mine of professional level information on the IBMWR mail list. Always helpful.

They are a bit more expensive than the roller bearings are. If I didn't already own a spare set of the roller bearings I would consider switching on my upcoming spline lube.

There has been one report of them being perhaps too tight out of the package. I don't think I would let that deter me from ordering them.

Stan

Archived