IGNORED

3rd Speedo drive unit...............

USAF1

On the way to my dentist yesterday morning and noticed that I was doing "O" mph.....at 4000RPM's!! Bloody Hell!!

Got home last night, and pulled the upper end, and after spinning the front wheel and not seeing anything turn, I dropped the lower end of the cable, and pulled it out.....in perfect condition!! Looked at the "blade" of the drive unit...and spun the wheel again.....didn't move a hair! Crapola!! Now I get to drive to the dealers...pick up another drive unit (this'll be my 3rd one) and get it installed tonight.

But then I had a brain fart........what if I got the "winged washer" (that's under the grease seal on the wheel) and had the leading edge of the "wing" extended by a couple of hairs? As it is, the OEM washer just barely hits the edge of the teflon drive gear in the speedo housing...and with a bit of an extension it'd cover 50-100% more.....resulting in almost negligable wear I'd think. So far, the speedo is down by 96 miles since yesterday morning, but I'll take care of that with the cordless drill, a small screwdriver blade attachment and a rubberband, after I get everything else fixed. Sure hope the dealer has that winged washer thingie!

Pat

I got thinking that the "winged washer" was made of some heavier metal.....so I called the dealer and had 6 of them set aside for me (.99 cents each)....I was a bit disappointed when I got there, and found (and finally remembered) they were just stamped out of aluminum!! Crap...so much for adding a bit of a welding bead to the contact corner, and doing some grinding on it, and give it some more reach.

So, because the original one was looking a bit torqued (twisted sideways and somewhat concave), I took a new one, and bent the "wings", that contact the plastic drive gear in the speedo unit, giving it just a bit more reach, and angled slightly (underline slightly here) so that the contact area was now a bit towards the outside edge of the drive gear (rather than towards inside as the original washer did).

I even took an new one...ground off the contact "wings", filed things down a bit, and installed that and my "reconfigured" washer in the wheel. But after putting the grease seal in place, there was no clearance for the drive unit to fit where it should have. Oh well....had to try it! Now we all know that that idea won't fly.

SO......if you want to save yourself $50 or so.....just bend the "wings" to the outside a bit, and put it back in place. Wouldn't hurt to grab a couple of the spacers (under the drive gear) from the dealer too! I took the ones from my original unit and added them to what was in the current one as well.

Did this with just under 125 thousand miles on the bike.

Pat

Archived