IGNORED

Green light? Don't trust it...

Paul Mihalka

This morning riding to work: Main two lane road crossed by a minor two lane road. Traffic light at the intersection. I stop on the minor road for the red light. Light turns green. I'm beginning to roll but look left/right. STOP! Car coming from left just rolls through at somewhat high cruising speed. He came like he didn't even realize that there IS a light! If I would have just rolled on green, he would have hit me dead center. So look, and look again!

Good advice, traffic signals are merely suggestions to many drivers. Even if I have a "stale" green, I still look both ways before entering.

You were right and very happy to hear you aren't dead right.

A good heads-up Paul.

I was taught that in the UK a green light means 'Proceed if it is safe to do so', most seem to forget the conditional part of that statement.

Andy

Danny caddyshack Noonan

An example of an experienced rider keeping himself safe. Good on you Paul!

Had that happen more than once when working a bike. Kind of funny how the public can suddenly appreciate a motor cop :clap:.

Paul,

So glad to hear you were sharp and alert.

Green lights should not exist in our motorcycling (or driving) world. Too many stories like this. They are merely a color on a dumb sign.

One more cop story on this subject..

Woman standing at an intersection waiting for a "walk" symbol to appear in the crosswalk. Walk symbol appears, woman steps off curb, walks a few steps in the x-walk and get mowed down by a mini-van that had punched the throttle to try to beat the red light. Woman gets wrapped around the front of the van and is instantly catapulted 151' before the van driver flees he scene. Woman died of massive injuries at a hospital a short time later. Van driver later surrenders to police.

Although the pedestrian is dead right, I never could figure out why our self-preservation skills are so deficient.

My brother got center punched twice (In cages) this way. Both occurred within a year, and both were on 3 day weekends. His solution: He does not drive on 3 day weekends. He has his wife, or someone else, do the driving

About a year after the second accident, I am driving, he is in the right seat. Light turns green. I hesitate. He tells me to get moving, light is green. Just as he said it, the car I was waiting on flew through the intersection in front of us. My comment: "Do want to drive?"

Running reds is a major problem here also. Defensive driving courses used to state to count 1001, 1002 before proceeding through an intersection when the light turns green.

Running reds is a major problem here also. Defensive driving courses used to state to count 1001, 1002 before proceeding through an intersection when the light turns green.
And I well be the guy behind you honking ,,, :grin:
And I well be the guy behind you honking ,,, :grin:

I don't think it is so much to wait, but more important to look... There is no guarantee that somebody will not blow through at 1003.

I learned that lessons when I lived in Baltimore in the early 1980s. In four years, I don't think I ever saw a light turn green without someone blasting through the intersection.

I had the same thing happen to me on the bike a couple of months ago. Elderly couple in animated conversation and I don't think the man even knew he'd run a red light. I hope the angry turn signal I threw at him got the message across.

But red light cameras are ONLY about revenue... [smirk]

...because red light violations are not really a problem.

I'll have to remember this thread, so I can refer to it in our next Automated Enforcement discussion.

Don't forget the "Red Light Cameras" are also checking your speed. Moral: don't speed up to make the light or you will get a speeding ticket or worse a speeding ticket and a red light ticket. Don't ask me how I know.

Jack

How about a traffic signal app for your Smartphone?

Since drivers are looking at phones while driving, a red light app on your phone could be an important safety improvement.

Aren't there apps warning drivers where "speed traps" are located?

• 2 weeks later...

+1

Living in a town full of retirees, I always watch to see if the cross traffic (on RED!) has "settled" before proceeding. I've had a few of the blue haired, dark glasses mob go gaily through reds!

Received a few honks from impatient idiots for being "slow off the mark" from a green but do I give a crap LOL !

Green means go, yellow means go faster, red means three more can go, always check when your lane has the green to go for those "three more" ;)

My dad always told me that if your at a light with 2 or more lanes each way, let the cage go through the intersection ahead of you. Hopefully they will catch any light runners, or at very least show the crossing traffic that traffic is indeed going through the intersection.

My dad always told me that if your at a light with 2 or more lanes each way, let the cage go through the intersection ahead of you. Hopefully they will catch any light runners, or at very least show the crossing traffic that traffic is indeed going through the intersection.

That's exactly what I tell students when teaching a Basic Rider Course. Let the car/truck go first so they'll take the hit. As for the people honking behind me if I wait to proceed on a green; their honking doesn't bother me a bit. Especially if it saves my life.

Don't even get me started on people not using turn signals!! :mad:

Is it me, or does it seem like more people run red lights now that they did 5-10 years ago? We have cameras in most all intersections here in Frankfort, but they're obviously not for red-light runners. Maybe for crashes?

My thought/fear is that with people having more avenues for distractions, coupled with the "me first" attitude people seem to have these days, it's only going to get worse. :cry:

I guess in my ripe old age (41 in October) I'm just not in that much of a hurry anymore.

But red light cameras are ONLY about revenue... [smirk]

...because red light violations are not really a problem.

I'll have to remember this thread, so I can refer to it in our next Automated Enforcement discussion.

But shortening the yellow light interval, thus generating more revenue (And increasing rear end collisions) IS all about revenue. That it has been done has been confirmed in various news reports.

As long as the timing of the lights is not changed to increase violations, I am fully in favor of red light cameras. Speed cameras.......Not so much.

• 2 weeks later...

There was something on the tele the other night and it basically went something like this:

by looking left and right before going through a green light, you decrease the your chance of getting T boned by up to 75%

Cheers

Steve

Archived