IGNORED

Abnormal Engine Noise R1200RT

Kanga

Howdy

Put my bike in for it's 1000k service yesterday and when I picked it up in the afternoon they informed me that they detected Abnormal Engine Noise and recommended that I book it in for further investigation. The bike is less then 2 weeks old, has 1300k's.

It did sound a little noisy but no more than my 1150 I had.

My concern is I have no other transport and they said I can ride it but not too far or fast, if this is the case shouldn't they keep it and supply a replacement until fixed as I feel they are putting my safety at risk when they have admitted that there is a possible fault with the engine.

Also when I was putting the panniers back on this morning I noticed a smear of some type of oil around the back rim and looking further it appears to have come from around the back brake pad area, could this be from a flush of the brake system? if they did one, on top of the engine problem this is just another concern.

any advice would be good.

thanks

Kanga

Being that your bike is new, yes, I could definately push for a back up ride from them. I know that Tri-State here would do it. I see no reason why other dealers can't for CS reasons.

I have noticed an engine noise on several occassions,upon starting the bike.It is a knock and it sounds like the the bike is not getting any oil.The first time I heard it,I freaked,shut the engine off and put the bike on the center stand,to check the oil.No oil showed in the sight glass and I over reacted.I put oil in the bike,drove it and then realized that the bike could not have used up that much oil,so I drained the oil and started fresh.

I think this noise has only been heard by me when I start the bike on its side stand. I have not brought this problem to the attention of the shop,but will,when I bring it in for its 12000 mile service. In the mean time,I will continue reading posts to see if this is problem with others.

Steve

Hi Steve

With my bike the Oil level was just below the top of the sight glass so there is plenty of oil, I tend to always start the bike when it is on it's Centre stand, the shop is talking about taking the head off to see what or where the noise is coming from.

I have since heard back and they will be taking my bike back tomorrow and supply a replacement bike till mine is fixed. Will update with what the problem is once I know more.

engine noise on several occassions,upon starting the bike.It is a knock and it sounds like the the bike is not getting any oil.
Well that particular noise is normal. It takes a second for the camshaft chain tensioner to pressurize.
they detected Abnormal Engine Noise
Well we'd really need a better descriptive of the noise to make any guesses.
a smear of some type of oil around the back rim and looking further it appears to have come from around the back brake pad area, could this be from a flush of the brake system?
Sure. Clean it up and watch it for awhile is probably your best bet.

Archived