IGNORED

R1200RT impressions

Paul Mihalka

I did not want to hijack (I do that too much) the ST thread that went into headlights. For a week or so I rode daily a R1200RT, including my commute home at night on backroads. The RT's headlights are the best I have seen stock on a bike. It has two low beams and one additional high beam. It really lights up the side of the road pretty far ahead (deer!).

Other comments: I found the seat very good for stock. I could ride on it all day. The LC display of instruments is almost useless. If it is in the shade on a sunny day you see nothing. Even with good lighting the letters/numbers are too small. For us seniors with glasses (very common RT owner) the instrument is too close for distance glasses and too far for the lower half of bifocals. It does need bigger numbers! It was a '06. The temp reading was OK, the oil level check is still junk. Don't get me wrong, the bike is great, but these are nitpicks that could be better. The best part is that after riding the new RT I got back on my R1150R(t-lite) and loved it smirk.gif

ClearwaterBMW
I did not want to hijack (I do that too much) the ST thread

i didn't think you hijacked that thread at all. you experience is critical on this site. the fact that you are in sales now is the icing on the cake for all of us. everything you say around here is relavent to me

greg

Likewise. I want your input. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I did not want to hijack (I do that too much) the ST thread

i didn't think you hijacked that thread at all. you experience is critical on this site. the fact that you are in sales now is the icing on the cake for all of us. everything you say around here is relavent to me

greg

Yeah - the lights are excellent. Had a bit of a problem getting them adjusted so they remain UK legal, effective and (the difficult part) don't dazzle car drivers particularly when filtering. I think we've cracked it now. Not helped by the manual getting the "flip" switch positions the wrong way around!

I wonder if the UK spec for the LC display is different in the UK - I've ridden it at night, in overcast and blazing sun (high and low) conditions. From -3C to +35C and the display has always been readable. After prolonged exposure to direct sun at over 30C, there was a slight darkening but nothing drastic. (Mine's a June 05 model). Could they be differnt do you think?

Paul

Likewise, my display is readable in all weathers, had one time when left in direct sun on a hot day(not that many over here!!) when it was temporarily unreadable, but soon cooled down after moving off. Also the standard lights were better than my 1150RT which I had put 50% brighter Xenon bulbs in. Have now replaced the 1200RT standard bulbs with Halfords H4 Xenon 50% brighter and am very happy with the results.

I agree, the headlamps are very good, at least 25% better than my Honda. I'm often signaled to dim my lights when still on low beam. I don't have as much trouble with the LCD, but the oil warning and temp are so inaccurate I only use them as guides, and don't take them seriously.

Archived