IGNORED

New to Forum

uk1200RT

Hello all,

I just went down to my dealer Saturday and put a downpayment on my 2006 R1200RT. They said it will take a few weeks to be built, so I am patiently waiting.

I live in Heidelberg, Germany but I am American. I ride an Aprilia Factory and have always ridden race bikes...this is my first tourer. I had to buy it as my wife refuses to get on the back of the Factory. I took one for a test ride on Saturday and it gave me a few questions.

First, how do you gauge lean angle on these bikes? I leaned and leaned and it seemed like I could heel it over pretty far, but I was really worried about grounding something or losing traction (BT020s). Do these bikes ground easily?

Vibration was the other question...it wasn't bad, but could get annoying on the Autobahn. Is this just characteristic of the engine type?

I am really happy to be getting this bike. I am looking forward to seeing a lot of Europe while I am here.

cheers,

Greg

Welcome!

how do you gauge lean angle on these bikes?
You keep leaning, and leaning, and leaning and eventually something touches down! Then you learn to ride them faster by leaning less!
Vibration was the other question...
A test ride on a fresh demo is not really a good test. The R-bikes smooth out considerably after the first few 1000km. OTHO a 4-cylinder it will never be.

Don't worry, you're going to love it!

What they said............I've only about 3K miles on my 05RT and my response at this point would be "what vibration?" Under load, going up hill, there's some, but not obnoxious. Everywhere else, I can tell the engines running, but no vibration to speak of. I prefer the feel of this bike to my 2005 FJR1300 - must be why I don't have that one any more......... cool.gif It just gets better and better.........

all the best,

Mike

Vibration is relative. Compared to a Harley or Buell, the RT is smooth as silk.

However, at idle, the mirrors shake like an epileptic crack whore. (No offense intended to epileptic crack-whores.)

Welcome Greg! I am relatively new here myself but have found a warm bunch of serious riders here. Ask away & you'll find a wealth of knowledge & experience.

Vibration is relative. Compared to a Harley or Buell, the RT is smooth as silk.

However, at idle, the mirrors shake like an epileptic crack whore. (No offense intended to epileptic crack-whores.)

hahahahaha, yea the windshield vibes a bit too at idle but, hahaha, damn that was funny grin.gif

Thanks for the welcome all!

I am really looking forward to taking delivery of the bike. I decided on the dark grey with a black engine guard with black seats. I am 5'8" so I go the lowered seat as well. I got an extra power connector for my wife, but I am reading that there is some problem with running heated gear on them. Now that the bike is on order, it is time to find some touring gear...all my stuff is race. I was checking out the Dainese Airstream Bluetooth helmets...look pretty nice.

cheers,

Greg

The pegs touch down first then the engine cases, no need to worry you will have great fun. The RT is my first non sports bike, I would never go back to one now.

Mick,

Good to know that the pegs ground out first...I would hate to be lifting the front wheel off the ground...a bit difficult to stay upright when that happens.

I am keeping the sportbike for more spirited unaccompanied riding. I live 5 minutes away from Hockenheim race track, so I have to have something to play with there. I am looking to the RT for purely touring, though I must say that it handled very well on the test ride.

You will love the RT, the one thing to watch out for is the gearbox. If it jumps out of gear, tell your dealer they will replace it no questions asked. Not that BMW will say early models have had gearbox problems !!

Thanks Mick,

Is this gearbox issue something they have worked out on current and future models? Th eone I have on order is an '06...maybe they have rectified the problem. Certainly something I will be looking out for.

I've had my 05 RT now since April 15. It now has 15,000 miles on her and is running better today than when new. Vibration was a problem initially as was seat comfort but by 6k all that is gone. I put a throttle rocker on the right grip to nullify the vibration & an alaskaleather.com buttpad to help with the seat. All is well as this is proving to be the best BMW ever.

I just got off my Harley so I don't think the 1200RT has any vibration, LOL! Kobo is right. With a few miles, the bike will run even better and smooth out.

As far as leaning it, I've run my tires all the way to the edge repeatedly and I don't consider myself to be all that good a rider. Nothing on the bike hit the pavement so, for a mediocre rider, I consider the bike let me do pretty well.

Enjoy that machine. BMW makes a fine machine though not without quirks. I've had no transmission problems and if I do, they fix it.

BTW, KOBO, I used to live in Aiken...mighty fine country you live in!! I wish I still lived there.

Archived