IGNORED

Brake flush requirment for R1200RT

Isettanut

A week or so ago talking with my dealer by phone, I ask a few questions about minor/major services required to keep a warranty in effect. The one thing I am cocerned about is brake service (as in flushing the system). Acording to him it is required that we have this performed at a dealership to keep warranty in effect. dopeslap.gif This is BMW policy on the 05 and 06 models. What is so different that we cant perform this ourself as we did on 02 thru 04. He indicated 24 nonth interval instead of 12. confused.gif Leon - 05RT

Thats total B.S. Your not going to tell me I have to have my brakes service by a Dealer or my warranty is void.

I will take them to court and hand them there asses on a silver platter.

If you listen to the dealer all you`ll get is how you must bring your wallet to them or else. TOTAL B.S.

According to him it is required that we have this performed at a dealership to keep warranty in effect.
It may be "BMW policy" (actually I doubt even that) but under the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act it is illegal in the US. It's called a "Tie-in Sales" provision, and they are prohibited.

If a manufacture alleges a defect in a product was caused by lack of a service to it having been preformed, you may be required to prove that it was performed (by someone) to have the defect corrected under warranty, but they cannot void a warranty specifically because they did not do a service item.

That's how you can get your oil changed in your 2005 whatever at "Jiffy-Lube" and not void the warranty for not having it changed at a dealer.

If a dealer is attempting to enforce that service be performed by him to keep a warranty in effect, I would politely suggest he consult his legal counsel.

If a dealer is attempting to enforce that service be performed by him to keep a warranty in effect, I would politely suggest he consult his legal counsel.

I`m not so nice when some yank off tries to hand me his brand O BullSh*t eek.gif The dealers act like your an Idiot

and always try this same tactic to get your service work.

Leon,

None of it's true. According to the manual, the intervals for brake flushing is 12 months for the wheel circuits and 24 months for the control circuits. You might suggest that your dealer hang around BMWSportTouring.com to get the correct information. wink.gif

Secondly, thousands of these brake systems are bled by DIYer's every year. There is no legal, or otherwise, reason you can't do it yourself.

Next thing your dealer is going to tell you is that you have to wear BMW clothing to keep your bike in warranty. dopeslap.gif

Steve, thanks for opening this up a bit. thumbsup.gif Any sources for info on DIY for this procedure? I'd rather spend 10 hours doing it myself than 6 hours riding to Seattle and back, waiting 4 hours for the job and paying for the privilege.

Co,

Check out the M/C FAQ at the top of the page for all kinds of great info (including the wheel & control bleed walkthrough that Jamie and Leslie Edmonds put together). cool.gif

I'm very familiar with the Magnuson-Moss act. You all are correct about your interpretations.

BUT, make no mistake, he who has the best lawyer wins. Just the facts of business life. I have four lawsuits going in my businesses and I will win every single one. Our law firm's record bears that out. A law that you interpret in your favor doesn't mean you win. It means that you may spend a lot of money possibly for naught. A justice system doesn't imply "fairness".

Accountability in the eyes of a human judge or a jury of humans. Humans are, for the most part, easily manipulated by people educated, and experienced in manipulation. There is no perfect justice system. That said, hire a great manipulator if you really want to win. Persuasion can sometimes be substituted for the word "manipulation". Just the way it is.

A justice system doesn't imply "fairness".

Then what is a justice system for?

Archived