IGNORED

conventional bleeding vs. mity-vac

wolcott

I have a '98 r1100rt and have already gotten some advice on bleeding but have some new questions bugging me. 1)In both types of bleeding (conventional vs. mity-vac), does the front and rear m/c cover go on loosely? 2) If you use the mity-vac, do you still take calipers off and shim the pistons inwards with the plywood shims? 3) The Haynes manual says I must take off rear caliper, (then I assume I shim it) and position it so that its bleed valve is at the highest point. What does this mean? I have RH fairing off and the rear m/c resevoir is about 8 inches higher than the mounted caliper. Do I take caliper off, shim it, and then hold it up as high as I can while trying to operate wrench and keep hose in container? Thanks for all your help. I just finished radiation therapy for lung cancer and my patience and skill is not what it used to be. I just want to get this bike flushed for one last long ride. Michael

Hi Michael - Glad to hear you are recovering. I'm sure they'll be much help in here for you tonight. In the meantime, I don't think you want the calipher as high as possible; believe it's the cup you want high and the bleeder down low. But, like I said, help will surely be here shortly. What would we do without this site? Ron

Michael - I just spoke with a friend. He said they are likely referring to twisting the calipher, once you've got it off, so that the bleed valve is at the highest point ON THE CALIPHER and not hanging down to the lowest point. Ron

does the front and rear m/c cover go on loosely?

Yes if you are pumping the lever / pedal otherwise it squirts out the top of the reservoir. No if using suction (Mity-Vac).

If you use the mity-vac, do you still take calipers off and shim the pistons inwards with the plywood shims?

Your choice on removing calipers, I don't. Yes on pressing the pistons inward to maximize the removal of old fluid. If using suction they will stay where you put them without shims.

and position it so that its bleed valve is at the highest point.

It means that any air in the slave cylinder will escape easier if the bleed valve is at the highest point of the slave cylinder. It isn't when the slave cylinder is mounted on the bike. Of course if you don't have air in there, it doesn't matter. If my brakes feel spongy before I start or after I'm done, then I do this, if not, then I save the time and effort as it's not needed.

I wish you well wherever your journeys may take you.

Stan

Thanks to all for your answers; I understand better now. I may order speedbleeders today to facilitate the bleeding process- although I understand that they are not a necessity for the flushing process. Michael

Archived