IGNORED

ABS Problem

Travelin' Man

Travelin' Man

I'v got a 2000 R1100RT that is showing an ABS malfunction. The two lights flash on and off alternating between top and bottom. I've tried pulling the ABS module and also tried replacing the fuse, but neither thing worked.

Can anyone tell me what to do to fix this?

I've tried searching this topic but couldn't find anything that helped me.

This can show up because of a weak battery. Try a search using +battery +ABS +fault Search in Oilheads and set the time period to cover a year. This netted me 76 references.

Also take a look here for a good tutorial on the search function.

Happy searching!

It does not matter that the Battery is fully charged. The question is how old is the battery? What kind is it? The stock BMW battery's only were lasting me about 1 1/2 years before I started getting that ABS fault. I replaced the BMW battery with a Odyssey PC 680 and am into my 3rd year. If you have access to one of those portable starting battery packs. You might try a jump start with that. But be very careful that you hook it up right and do not short anything out. If no luck with this, then you will have to search for how to read the ABS codes for your bike. Good Luck

grin.gif

Can you get it to reset after starting, riding a few miles, pulling in the clutch while moving, turn off key, turn on key, and restart? If you can it could be the battery.

The rolling restart I have used that worked on an abs fault stricken bike was,

Let off throttle and pull in the clutch.

Turn key off, pause, turn key on

Do not push starter button

Let clutch out to refire bike

Worked every time on that cycle.

A simple reset. Take a small wire, put into the middle hole in the blue connector under your seat. It is not attached to anything, it attaches to a computer that the dealer uses to check codes. Ground the other end to the bike. Turn on the ignition, without starting the bike, push the ABS button on the dash for eight seconds, release, turn key off, pull wire out. Turn on the key and your ABS will be reset. If you have a real problem, the second you ride off, the lights will start flashing again. Sometimes the ABS just goes brain dead.

This simple reset procedure doesn't always work. Not all abs faults are simple. Not every abs fault can be fixed with a new battery, either. There are abs faults that modi-tec can't even reset. BMW's modi-tec failed to reset an abs fault at 2 dealerships that the rolling reset procedure did.

Archived