IGNORED

Skyline Drive and the BRP status

drswift

Rode the entire Skyline Drive and BRP to Roanoke (clouds and rain ruined all the great views). Skyline had almost all new pavement, 2 minor delays for tree trimming, and very light traffic. BRP had decent pavement, virtually no traffic or smokies. Don't know if that will change on the weekend, but I imagine so.

See you soon!

Too bad about the clouded views! The new pavement on Skyline sounds good though, plan on taking it North after after the UN. :thumbsup:

Pat

Not being a meteorologist, but someone who has ridden both before, It seems that the cloud bank is just typical in the type of climate that we are having for the season. On the good side, I found that it kept my focus on the road, the bad side is the obvious lack of spectacular views.

Did Skyline Drive today and a chunk of the BRP on the way to Roanoke. A fair bit of fog early on along Skyline, but a fun ride nonetheless. As Dave said, pavement was great. BRP was fun too, though, like Skyline, views were somewhat obscured. Did the ride with friend Rod (LRider). Will meet our wives at Roanoke airport tomorrow at noon, then take the slow road to LS on Saturday and Sunday.

I think I mentioned this in a post several weeks/months ago, but the new BRP Park HQ Visitors Center, near Asheville, is showing a stunning video that uses a father-daughter motorcycle ride the length of the BRP as its unifying theme. It's well worth the thirty minutes (spent in cool darkness).

Archived