IGNORED

new see through alternator cover

KER

Oh man......

I bet if I mounted a mirror in just the right place I could watch my motor go around and around while I rode down the highway......

grin.gif

Stan

Nice idea if you never ride. That cover will be see through for about 200 miles. Then it'll be another thing to clean, it sure won't look nice dirty. bncry.gif Stuff like that belongs on trailer queens, IMHO. wink.gif

Bet it cost a fortune like the chrome job. Too bad it doesn't have colored, blinking lights attached to the pulleys so you could make oncoming motorists think you're a low-flying UFO. I spend a good bit of money with Santa Cruz, and Robert and his crew are great to do business with. I used a $6 can of MarHyde plastic restorer last year to redo my cover, it's resistant to chipping and discoloration and still looks brand new with a little soap and water. Plan to use some more this winter for other plastic parts.

Ken: I apologize for sounding snide. It you like the way it looks, that's all that matters. The reply just popped into my head, like wanting to put a 100db speaker with machine gun sounds on the bike for some idiot on a cell phone. Or maybe pulling up behind a cop at 2 a.m. and sounding it off. Sorry guys, just a little innocent fun to start those donuts digesting.

O.K. am I the only one to be niave enough to think this is a great way to look at the condition of the drive belt? confused.gif Would it really get that dirty and translusent as to be unusable? Please be gentle........

I think it might do OK. That area is subject to a lot more debris than, say, your dash, so you could count on it getting dinged up.

But I think the diagnostic value would be rather low. To properly see the belt condition, you really do need to have it in your hand. It's the small cracks that appear first. The belt would need to be very worn and fraying to be seen through the glass, even if that glass were very clean. That's better than nothing of course, but not the early warning I'd want.

O.K. am I the only one to be niave enough to think this is a great way to look at the condition of the drive belt? confused.gif Would it really get that dirty and translusent as to be unusable? Please be gentle........

After installation you could always cover it with some of that transparent paint or headlight protector film... thumbsup.gif Bada boom, bada bling!

It's an alternator belt inspection cover, not bling we were led to believe. Could you also drill a hole in the stock cover and put a rubber plug in the hole..much like the timing hole on the right side of the crankcase?

russell_bynum

But I think the diagnostic value would be rather low. To properly see the belt condition, you really do need to have it in your hand. It's the small cracks that appear first. The belt would need to be very worn and fraying to be seen through the glass, even if that glass were very clean. That's better than nothing of course, but not the early warning I'd want.

Exactly.

Exactly.

I agree but since my time is very important to me, I won't be opening it up and inspecting except when BMW recommends and then I'm going to replace it. In between, it would be of limited usefullness. --Jerry

Archived