IGNORED

Oil Temps in cooler weather

jackflash

Rode my R1200RT in 55 to high 40's temps. yesterday for right at 300 miles. Today I rode it 40 miles in 55 degree weather.

Yesterday, the oil level display went back and forth displaying OIL--- with no level indication at all. The oil temp. bars were barely below the second line.

Today, all I saw was OIL---. Again, the oil temp. bar was barely below the second line.

Question: Does the oil cooler have a thermostat control and perhaps mine isn't working or is it normal to get no display in cool temps. with the temp. bar below the second line?

In 100 degree summer weather, the oil temp. bar only got to the second line even when being run very hard.

What's the take on this from the xperts? Oil in the site glass was exactly on the center dot both days. It's about quit using oil at 6500 miles.

The oil cooling system does indeed have a thermostat, and from what you are describing, I would suspect there is a problem with it. Should be a simple warranty replacement.

I didn't do this but did notice that I got the check mark on the oil level display finally while I was maneuvering the bike into it's spot in the garage. I don't know what oil level would have to do with oil temp. unless the level was grossly low. The level was dead center of the site glass. Like I said, the temp. bars were just a hair below summer time level. I'll talk to the dealer about it. Thanks for the tips!

What happened when you switched the on-board computer display to oil and let it idle for 10 seconds without blipping the throttle?

I think that you are confusing your Oil LEVEL display with the Oil TEMP display.

If it says OIL -- in the disply window it is telling you that it can not measure the oil level.

If the Oil TEMP were too high the general warning light (Triangle with !) will light up red and the oil temp guage will flash.

No. I'm not confusing the two. I spoke with my dealer today and they have an inquiry in to BMW. Their mechanic said basically the same thing...the oil level indicator is not getting data to display properly what is really going on. The sight glass doesn't lie.

The oil temp. bar is just a hair below the level it read at 100 degrees this past summer. I don't think the two are related, but what do I know? They said they will let me know. If they forget, I won't... grin.gif

I think that you are confusing your Oil LEVEL display with the Oil TEMP display.

If it says OIL -- in the disply window it is telling you that it can not measure the oil level.

If the Oil TEMP were too high the general warning light (Triangle with !) will light up red and the oil temp guage will flash.

Archived