IGNORED

Melted Plastic???

lsdpoet

Just got my 04 Black 1150RT...rides great...looks great...noticed a slight smell of burning plastic when slowing to a stop after pipes have warmed up considerably...upon further inspection I see that the plastic behind each pipe is dimpled. Don't want to sound dumb or naieve (sp?), but is that normal? Could the heat have melted the plastic causing the dimples? (looks like someone took a ballpeen hammer to the plastic.) I'm going to call the dealer I bought it from on Tuesday, but hope to get some ammunition prior to that in case I have to complain. The bike runs perfect other than that (if that is a problem). Thanks for any feedback..... dopeslap.gif

This type of damage typically happens when the engine is running while the bike is on the centerstand and has NO airflow over/around the engine/exhause pipes to disapate the heat. Typical problem with some owners who feel it is necessary to warm their bike up to the first temp bar on the RID. Some warm them up, others start and drive away at low RPM's until the RID shows some temp rise.

From what you are saying in your post, you smelled this after you rode the bike? How close is the plastic from the exhaust pipe. Take a picture and post it if you can.

Based upon what you now know, you need to make the call as to whom is at fault, you or the dealer.

Good luck and Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

Tim: Thanks for responding. Just to clarify, I do not warm my bike up excessively. This is my 5th RT so I am aware of the problems caused when engine is running and bike is stationary. This is my first 04 however, and I was wondering if the plastic is designed that way. Thanks again....

I had an 04 RT and never experienced that problem even waiting in traffic in the summer heat. Did you leave the fast idle lever/choke on too long?? That will result in hotter than normal exhaust temps because of a richer running engine at higher rpm's.

Just my 0.02 cts

I had an 04 RT and never experienced that problem even waiting in traffic in the summer heat. Did you leave the fast idle lever/choke on too long?? That will result in hotter than normal exhaust temps because of a richer running engine at higher rpm's.

Just my 0.02 cts

Two points, the fast-idle lever on an RT simply opens the throttle a bit. It has no effect on mixture or on engine speed when the twistgrip opens the throttle more than it does.

Even if that wan't the case, making the mixture richer lowers combustion temperature, making the motor run cooler.

I am wondering if the OP is the first owner. Perhaps an earlier owner bubbled the plastic, and the smell was generated by something being kicked up off the road onto the down-pipes. Take a look lower down, where they cross the front of the engine, for signs of burnt detritus.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Andy may be right. On my Roadster (no tupperware) a plastic grocery bag stuck to my crossover pipe. It made a disgusting mess and I had a burning plastic smell for quite a while.

36126479-M.jpg

I don't have the pictures with me today but I experienced the same problem with my '02 R1150RT after about a half hour of heavy traffic on the DC beltway. The bike has 23k miles on it so I was surprised it hadn't happened sooner. It was a pretty cold ambient as well. Really toasted (bubbled/browned paint) both panels directly behind where the pipes come out of the head.

As a side note, I got an interesting respoonse from the service writer at my dealer when I called to inquire. He said the bubbled paint is a minor problem created by a hot engine. He said, if you're unlucky the engine can get so hot that the oil sight glass melts out spilling oil onto your exhaust and starting a fire! If your only a little unlucky the fire will come up the front of your bilke and melt your windshield. If your more unlucky the fire will comne up between your legs and melt whatever's there! And if you're really screwed you've been warming up your bile in the garage and lost the garage and part of your house to the fire by the time the fire dept. gets there. He said the above were the three examples they had reported last year. Really, I'm not making this up. Can this be for real?

Two points, the fast-idle lever on an RT simply opens the throttle a bit. It has no effect on mixture or on engine speed when the twistgrip opens the throttle more than it does.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Hey, Andy, you bring something up that I've thought, but that I've rethought.

When I got my bike I discovered the heat issue when just starting. I thought as you did - the lever is only a fast idle and has no effect on mixture. True, as far as it goes.

BUT - a cold engine heat sensor probably tells the Motronic that it needs a rich mixture, so the injectors squirt a little longer until the engine temp comes up. Thus you would have a rich mixture and a fast idle at startup, but not other times.

Also, I very severely doubt that even at worst, the engine can get hot enough to melt to a piece of plastic down on the crankcase. Especially not a sight glass with oil up against it to carry off heat. I think that's another case of a mechanic talking through his a$$.

Pilgrim

He said, if you're unlucky the engine can get so hot that the oil sight glass melts out spilling oil onto your exhaust and starting a fire!

Where was that thread again about whether the information is better from this DB or from the dealer? eek.gif

Archived