IGNORED

Installing dual horns on K1200RS

JayW

I don't like the squeeky OEM pancake horn on my 2003 K1200RS and want to replace it with the dual horn system that came on the early '05 RT bikes.

The RT horns plug in and play just fine on the RS, but so far only one at a time. Is there a Y adaptor I could purchase that would allow me to plug in and power both horns from the single factory connector without cutting into the factory wiring? If not, can I buy the separate male and female connectors so that I can fabricate such an adaptor?

Thanks,

Jay

Jay,

FIAMM dual horns, don't know if it can help or not.

link

They also have Steibel install in this secton.

Good luck.

Jay,

Go to Pirate's lair, select the RS, follow link to "how to".

Long list of stuff.

It has been archived at gunsmoke.com but I still go through

Pirate's site.

Don't know if it will be relevant at all but you can find out a bunch of other things about the RS/GT we have.

Best wishes.

I have installed dual Seibels on both my RT and most recently K1300GT.

Go to Radio Shack. They have connector boards with 4 lugs and six lugs on each side of the board. Each end of the board has holes drilled so you can use zip ties to tie the board onto something. They also sell a metal connector strip that will connect to each log and allow you to connect all lugs together via this strip.

Here is what I did. Take the metal connector strip and break it the middle into two pieces. Remove the last "U" connector from the 3 piece side so you now have two strips with 2 "U" connectors each.

Insert each metal strip under the lugs on each end of the block so the middle lug has no strip connectied to it. This means you now can have two independet amd isolated circuits on this one baord.

Cut or unfasten the wire to the existing horn and separate the positive and negative wires. Attach a small (18 guage) "U" connector to the end of each of the stock horn wires. Attach the positive "U" connector under a lug on one isolated end of the lug board and the negative "U" connector on the other isolated end of the lug board.

From each isolated section you can now attach two wires (with "U" connectors under the lugs) from each isolated lug section. You will run two positive wires and two negative wires from the lug board long enough to accommodate the installaiton of the two horns you are trying to mount on the bike and connect together.

These wires will run to the relays and ground for each horn. Follow the wiring diagram for your horns and relays.

I used relays with in-line 20A fuses for the Seibel horns. I zip tied the lug block to existing wiring in the neighborhood. It could also be zip tied to a frame member as I did with my RT.

The lug block will allow you to distribute power from your original horn to a number of new horn(s) and still have it power on with the key. So, when you hit the stock horn button both horns will go off at the same time.

I wired my horns directly to the batery as each horn pulls 16A when fired and I did not want to overload my Centec fuse panel when both horns fired.

Hope this helps.

Francis

Archived