IGNORED

H vs. V rated tires on the 12GS???

steve.foote

I'm looking at SWmoto Tires website and noticed that Michelin Anakees can be had in HR and VR flavors with a cost difference of only $5 per tire.

I won't ever reach V speeds on the GS, but was wondering if anyone knew of any other benefits of V-rated tires for the GS.

As always, thanks in advance. smile.gif

...any other benefits of V-rated tires for the GS...

I think I read (this in the internet, right?) that the V-rating pertains not only to speed ... but to weight. The GS being not a small motorcycle, it is probably better suited for the higher rating.

Also, what Marty says.

Steve, I've used both and could not tell the difference. In fact, on my last three track days I used the lower rated tires.

The ratings are about sustained speeds at the max rated level, and so I think it's irrelevant. In fact, the V might even be a liability, but that's just guess. I wondered if the rate of heat cycle would be different, but I could never find out after some research.

Anyway, there's my experience.

ShovelStrokeEd

In theory, the H rated tire should warm up a little quicker and then go away a little sooner under the duress of say, a track day.

As David pointed out, it probably doesn't matter one way or the other.

Marty, they probably have dropped the H cause they won't sell that many with the V-rated tire out there. You know us Americans, gotta have the biggest, if H is OK, V MUST be that much better.

Interesting discussion so far. The owners manual doesn't specify a preference, the bike came with V-rated Bridgestones, and the Michelin website recommends the V-rated tire for the GS as can be viewed here.

My guess is that it probably doesn't matter either way, but, for an extra ten bucks, I'll go ahead with the V's. That way, I can tell all my non-riding buds, "yeah, it can go that fast." grin.gif

I picked up a new rear Anakee for mine a while back at Competition Accessories. All they had was H rated, and my original was V rated. Like David, I can't tell any difference. I believe some users said on the UK GS site the H rated might last a bit longer. Not sure if that's valid. Even so, I would have bought the V had they had it.

the V-rating pertains not only to speed ... but to weight.
For what it's worth (and it's not much) I have both a V and a H rated Anakee in my garage at the moment and they both say max. load 325kg. Maybe coincidence idontknow.

Ken, I've noticed on Michelin's website that certain tires which come in the same size, but different speed ratings, carry different load allowances. But, as is the case in this debate, others are identical.

Archived