IGNORED

Aeroflow windscreen on a 110 mile ride.

cjmkerns

First let me say I'm 6'0" and I've been very happy with the Aeroflow on my '98 11RT. Couldn't stand riding behind the stock screen after being spoiled by the Aeroflow's excellent protection from noise buffet & rain. It Gives me a still air pocket that is a real comfort and energy saver (my Energy) on those 600+ mile days.

So, I ordered a medium hight Aeroflow for the '05 12RT and wow! What a difference. The stock shield on the 12 was far better than the stock shield on the 11. But, the 12 was more affected by cross wind and semi tubulence. Semi's would shake the 12's stock windscreen and to a lesser extent the bike around. Now, the 12 seems to have a more stable penetration of crosswinds and semi turbulence than the 11. To test the new screen I even eased into the dreaded semis in front and semis to the right scenario and could not believe how differently the bike handled. Almost like the semis weren't there. The still air "Pocket" is also quieter and smoother on the 12 than the 11.

I just didn't think it could be improved like that, especially being more stable in side gusts and turbulence. I'm thinking the key was the separate deflectors that keep the wind from rolling up under the front sides of the windscreen. Maybe that was what had the 12 shaking its head in the turbulence in the first place. I'll have to switch back to the stock screen with the Aeroflow deflectors in place and see if the shaking is gone with it too. Would be great if it is. I'll then have a nice summer screen.

Does any one else have any observations about the 12 vs 11/1150 stability in turbulence, with and without aftermarket windscreens? How about experience with an Aeroflow on the 12? Maybe I was just having a really good day. It was about 34 degrees F for the trip with a 7mph right quartering tailwind going out and left quarteing headwind coming back (went to CycleGadgets in Plymouth, In. to pick up Farkles grin.gif ).

Oh, no affiliation with Aeroflow, just a happy customer.

Regards,

Carl

Carl,

Aeroflow used my bike as the test mule for the R12RT screens. I personally tested most of the iterations, with and without the deflectors to which you refer. I didn't notice much difference with crosswinds with or without deflectors, but I did notice differences with the various screen sizes. The production medium screen seemed to offer the best combination of protection and resistance to crosswind shaking. I really love the Aeroflow screen, and it's so incredibly better than the stock screen. Hard to believe it could make that much difference.

On a completely different note, my parents and one of my brothers live in Valpo. Have a little Valpo Velvet for me!

--Neil Forker

I'm 6 ft tall and have a Corbin seat in the low position. I got my Aeroflow tall windshield 2 days prior to putting the new RT away for the winter. I found that I don't need to raise it at all around town or at slower highway speeds to have a fairly quiet ride. At interstate+ speeds, just a little bit of a raise and its perfect at providing fairly still air and no buffiting. My test ride was to Fargo (please no Fargo jokes) and back, which was 116 miles at 34 degrees. Much better then the week before to Ely and Duluth, MN when it was a low of 22 and a high of 38 degrees. Even with the stock windhield which was noisy, the rest of the bikes fairing kept me out of the cold. thumbsup.gifclap.gif

A second post from Valpo. I have a Cee Bailey 2" top and I think 2" side. It is quieter than the stock but was a lot warmer in the summer. I have noticed the same as far as turbulence on my R12Rt compared to my other bikes. It also seems to be effected more by headwinds than other bikes I have had. The Cee Bailey was not an improvement in the areas of turbulance or side winds.

I did check on aeroflows website, but the info on the windshield is less than marginal. I'd like to see where the reflectors go and how they are mounted/attached. Can you post a photo or two?

Hopefully the photo comes through OK. You can see along the sides of the windscreen the 2 dark smoked deflectors atached. Also between the windscreen supports there is a clear deflector. Hope this is helpfull.

thumbsup.gif

Yes, BocaMike, Aeroflow is not big on getting information on thier web site. See attached photo for dark smoke deflector attached with a pre-applied adheasive strip.

Regards,

Carl

600518-Deflector.JPG.30b51d045475743dd71062ff42f72238.JPG

BocaMike,

That's the molded in NACA duct. I really don't notice it on the bike as I am mostly looking over the shield and that is kinda low even looking through it. It's supposed to speed up and smooth the flow over the center of the screen. Seems to work without visually getting in my way, YMMV.

I'm 6'6 with a built up seat in the highest position and I just love the tall Aeroflow screen. Probably go back to the stock shield for the next (Arizona) summer though. tongue.gif

How is that Corbin seat? Would you buy it again if faced with the choice?

Great compared to the stock seat. I only got the front portion and left the back stock seat on. I have done a 600 mile day on the bike and was fine. The stock seat was good for about 120 miles. My previous bike (R1100RS with 174,120 miles) had a corbin also and it was good for 1000 mile days, BBG and 50cc rides. thumbsup.gif

Yesterday I took the 12RT to AutoZone for an in line fuse and while there I realized I had never ridden the 12's AeroFlow windscreen without earplugs. Since it was only a few miles I left them out for the return trip. I wear a Nolan N100E helmet and they aren't known for being quiet, so I expected the usual but low level of wind noise I would have on the 11RT with Aeroflow and no ear plugs. I was pleasantly surprised. There was NO wind noise, just the sound of the motor and the "singing" of the Pilot Roads (I was informed Pilot Roads DO NOT whine, they Sing grin.gif). I'm still looking over the windscreen and until I got crossways to the 9 mph prevailing wind I heard no wind noise. I only had it up to about 50 mph where the motor and tire noise was still tollerable (love the sound of the motor). Into and away from the wind there was no wind noise, crosswind would as expected give burbles of wind noise.

You guys are probably tired of hearing this, but, I like my Aeroflow! clap.gif

I just mounted a 'tall' (I'm 6'2") Aeroflow last night and am very happy with the extra protection so far. Will be taking my pillion (5'6") on a couple hundred mile trip Sunday and will report back her impressions.

Merch

Archived