IGNORED

UnRally X Routes are ready!

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

I know we are just in the nick of time with these, but here are the UnRally X Routes!

Please feel free to use this thread to post any and all questions about the routes. The "paper" based PDF files should follow soon, but I'm not saying how soon. :)

Paul Mihalka

Waiting for the paper version. Probably know some of them, but always happy to learn new routes.

Lone_RT_rider
Waiting for the paper version. Probably know some of them, but always happy to learn new routes.

It might be a bit Paul, when are you leaving for the UN? The paper version takes about 5 times more work than the GPS based routes.

Also, Mr. Insley has subscribed to this thread to take questions you might have about the routes. :)

Shawn

Paul Mihalka

I'll leave home Sunday 8/7 and wander around to get to Little Switzerland Monday pm. I think I can find my way there without a map (or GPS). Three weeks! Thanks for all the work, guys!

Paul, is this the kind of stuff you're looking for? This is actually an Excel file but I changed the file ext. to txt so it would accept it. Change it back to xls and take a look--assuming you have Excel. It would be my pick of all the routes listed if I could only ride one. :thumbsup:

edit: if you don't have Excel I can do it in pure text format.

5671.txt

Paul Mihalka

Thanks for trying, but I don't have Excel and I don't know what that is. If it means anything, I'm on a MAC. Yeah, Luddite...

Paul, if you don't have a GPS, I'm presuming you have not installed Garmin's Basecamp application (that's Garmin's mapping software for Macs that you can download for free from Garmin's website). You can open these routes in Basecamp to have a look at them.

I know we are just in the nick of time with these, but here are the UnRally X Routes!

Please feel free to use this thread to post any and all questions about the routes. The "paper" based PDF files should follow soon, but I'm not saying how soon. :)

Apparently these are Garmin specific. I don't own a Garmin. Guess I'm waiting on the PDFs, too. :P

Plus, I've already worked out some rides of my own.

Apparently these are Garmin specific. I don't own a Garmin. Guess I'm waiting on the PDFs, too. :P

Plus, I've already worked out some rides of my own.

What do you have (GPS)? Does it accept gpx files? These can be converted.

If you are on a Mac and have BaseCamp (free) you can import the .gdb file posted above and it tested just fine with the 3.2.1 version.

For those with non-Garmin products, here are the routes in GPX format. I don't have any way to test them with non-Garmin software or hardware, but they work with a Garmin. :grin:

UnRally X GPX Routes

David

Lone_RT_rider
If you are on a Mac and have BaseCamp (free) you can import the .gdb file posted above and it tested just fine with the 3.2.1 version.

For those with non-Garmin products, here are the routes in GPX format. I don't have any way to test them with non-Garmin software or hardware, but they work with a Garmin. :grin:

UnRally X GPX Routes

David

I was just logging in to tell the masses that we have a solution on the way, and of course David has already taken care of it! Thanks David!

Shawn

DavidEBSmith

As a reference for anybody who in the future might need to convert GPS files from anything to anything, I highly recommend GPSBabel, free open-source multi-platform software that does just that.

What do you have (GPS)? Does it accept gpx files? These can be converted.

TomTom. Don't know if it accepts .gpx files or not. To the interweb!
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I got routes to download in my ASUS netbook but they will not load into 2 different 2720 units. Shuts the unit off at about the 38% mark. Then my wifes computer cannot find a program to even open them up in. This gets old real quick. Guess we will be making our own routes when we get there.

Well I got routes to download in my ASUS netbook but they will not load into 2 different 2720 units. Shuts the unit off at about the 38% mark. Then my wifes computer cannot find a program to even open them up in. This gets old real quick. Guess we will be making our own routes when we get there.

Do you and your wife have Mapsource, or Basecamp, loaded on either computer? They're both Garmin mapping programs. Presumably if you've tried loading the maps onto your GPS you must being using one of these.

UnRally X GPX Routes

David

All I get is a screen full of code.

As a reference for anybody who in the future might need to convert GPS files from anything to anything, I highly recommend GPSBabel, free open-source multi-platform software that does just that.

Could not get this to work either, can't figure out how to use it. Computer tech is passing me by, I just can't get a grasp of it.

If, when you click on the link, you get a screen full of gibberish, it likely means that your web browser is trying to interpret the xml code (which is all a gpx file is anyway).

If you right-click the UnRally X GPX routes link and tell it to download the linked file, it should save it to your hard drive. Your computer might append a .xml extension to the end of the filename in which case you can rename the file routes.gpx and then your programs should recognize it as a gpx file.

David

Works for me.

Right click link. Select "Save Target As" and then save it to your desktop. Right click on saved file and tell it to open with "MapSource". After the normal recalculations of the routes, you should be able to transfer the file/routes to your GPS, unless there is not enough room on it. Works like that for a Garmin Zumo.

I am sorry, but I am not familiar with the 2730 or what ever unit you have. Been concentrating on the Zumo 550 for the last few years. That is like a full time job.

Ken, try this.

Delete all user data currently on the unit.

Make a route file with your routes to/from the UN as well as the day rides you plan to run, but make sure it's less than 20 routes total.

When you "Send To Unit", be sure the "Turn Unit Off After Transfer" is un-checked.

Works for me.

Right click link. Select "Save Target As" and then save it to your desktop. Right click on saved file and tell it to open with "MapSource". After the normal recalculations of the routes, you should be able to transfer the file/routes to your GPS, unless there is not enough room on it. Works like that for a Garmin Zumo.

Thak you, that did the trick for getting them on the computer, now to tackle the unit problem.

Ken, try this.

Make a route file with your routes to/from the UN as well as the day rides you plan to run, but make sure it's less than 20 routes total.

When you "Send To Unit", be sure the "Turn Unit Off After Transfer" is un-checked.

After several attempts that worked although I don't know why. After I deleted all my stuff I loaded your routes then reloaded my waypoint and routes and the unit took them all so I assume it was not full. How you guys figure this stuff out is beyond me. Thanks guys.

Ken, try this.

After several attempts that worked although I don't know why. After I deleted all my stuff I loaded your routes then reloaded my waypoint and routes and the unit took them all so I assume it was not full. How you guys figure this stuff out is beyond me. Thanks guys.

Garmin...I have a love/hate relationship with them.

You could NEVER ride the routes I ride (repeatedly) without a GPS, you'd constantly be dong u-turns, stopping to look at maps every few minutes, or just riding by some great roads.

There is some frustration at times, but it's a small price to pay for the benefits and Garmin seems to be the best even with the faults we find.

Ditto. :thumbsup:

Garmin allows me more time to keep the wheels moving, instead of studying the map of where i am and where I am going.

It is fun exploring new roads.

Paul, if you don't have a GPS, I'm presuming you have not installed Garmin's Basecamp application (that's Garmin's mapping software for Macs that you can download for free from Garmin's website). You can open these routes in Basecamp to have a look at them.

Since I'm still a GPS newbie, what's the difference between RoadTrip and Basecamp?

Answering my own question: Basecamp requires an Intel processor.

Since I'm still a GPS newbie, what's the difference between RoadTrip and Basecamp?

Answering my own question: Basecamp requires an Intel processor.

I assume you have a Mac? If you can, use Basecamp. According to the GPS "gurus" at ADVRider, RoadTrip is outdated (it has not been updated in some time and it would seem Garmin is devoting all their efforts to Basecamp). They just released an upgrade to the Mac version of Basecamp a few weeks ago and they even have a Basecamp version for PCs now.

A MAC?? is it a BIG MAC? :grin:

Dunno know about folks who use macs.

OK--here it is in pure text format. If the mac can't savvy that, sorry! :lurk:

That's cool. Looks like a Dual Sport Adventure Roll Map directions !

Archived