IGNORED

RT arrives, with horn blaring...

jakfrost

Well despite the snowstorm which made the driving difficult to say the least...the new RT is in the garage, probably untill March at least.

Fortunatly I had the use of a friends enclosed trailer to bring the 'Redhed' home. Unfortunatly for me, when I opened the trailer and 'the inspector' (aka 'Lil'Red') climbed in to look over the newest acquisition, I put the key in the ignition and turned it on to show off the 'onboard computer' the horn sounded blush.gif, and if you think it is loud on the highway...try it in an enclosed trailer crazy.gif .

The lights came on at the same time and when I hurriedly turned the key off, the lights stayed on. In fact they stayed on untill I had unloaded the bike, worring the whole time about draining the battery. I tried the key one more time in the trailer ( dopeslap.gif) and left it on for a few seconds, constant honk eek.gif.

After it was on the garage floor on the center stand I tried the key, (ear protectors in place),no horn and the lights went out...

Nothing in the manuel...

Any ideas confused.gif Suspension compression? Shaking around in the trailer? Just pissed off to be in an enclosed trailer?? (just like the 'other' red-head would be smirk.gif).

Jim

Lights normal.
Normal on the R1100xx or R1150xx series, not normal on the R1200xx series (what the OP has).

But ISFA the problem, if the bike has the alarm this could explain it, if not this would definitely be a controller abnormally. Probably hard to find unless it does it again.

No alarm that I know of...the bike is new from the dealership, there was no mention of an alarm per se...just the normal 'immobilizer' that comes with all R1200RTs.

When I placed the key in the ignition and turned it 'on', lights came on and the horn sounded as long as the ignition was 'on'. When I turned the ign. off the horn stopped but the lights stayed on...

By the time I got it unloaded, after franticly reading the owners manual, and then tried it again...no horn and the lights went out when I turned the key off.

I am not going to load it in the trailer and drive around for a couple of hours to see if I can get it to do it again, just wondering if I was missing some important piece of info...

Jim

How did you tie it down, was there a possibility that a strap may have been pushing hard on the horn button and just got it to stick slightly. Did you use a Canyon Dancer?

Archived