IGNORED

1200RT - knocking sound at cold idle?

TowJam

I've noticed that when I first start up the RT cold and it's idling, there is a sporadic "knocking" sound coming from the clutch/transmission area. It sounds similar to gear rollover noise I've heard in some smaller manual transmission cars. Is this a normal noise?

How many miles are on the bike.

Did who ever performed the 600 mile service change the trans fluid? What weight gear oil was used.

Mine has 19K and makes no noise. I serviced my own at 600 miles and used synthetic gear oil.

I would want to know whats actually being done to my motorcycle if I was not the one doing it.

Shops don't pay there techs worth a crap anymore and high school kids are the norm for most shops. It`s a Scary thought.

If it sounds like it's missed a beat with a slight knocking noise, I think you'll find thats quite normal and will disappear after a service. It was more prominent on 1150s.

TowJam,

Does sound go away when you pull in clutch lever ? I know on my 1st generation oilhead, there's something like a knocking (more of a rattle really) sound at idle with clutch released; TADT.

[slite hi jack here] It's too common to find BMWs at multi-brand dealerships; often there's only one trained BMW tech with most services conducted by nontrained mechanic (perhaps the trained tech oversees the untrained ?). Alternately, there are a few (too few) stores where BMW is the only brand. There, the norm is for all mechanics to be trained. I assert these are the shops to search for and to patronize if possbile.

Wooster "I got blisters on my fingers"

TowJam,

Does sound go away when you pull in clutch lever ? I know on my 1st generation oilhead, there's something like a knocking (more of a rattle really) sound at idle with clutch released; TADT.

My '05 12RT makes the same noise. The dealer told me it is the dry clutch. Rattly kind of knocky sound when idling in neutral with clutch out. When I pull the clutch in it goes away.

My '05 12RT makes the same noise. The dealer told me it is the dry clutch. Rattly kind of knocky sound when idling in neutral with clutch out. When I pull the clutch in it goes away.
That's pretty much what I thought it was. I had the same thing with my '04 K-RS. The K-RS actually had a much louder and more pronounced "rattle" but I don't remember the knocking sound. In any event, I'm not going to obsess over it.

On a more positive note... I once again got a chance to ride today in some relatively windy conditions. I continue to be amazed at the wind protection the plastic and windshielf provide. This is the first "real" touring bike I've owned so forgive me for gushing. smile.gif

Archived