IGNORED

Tar Snakes

BeemerBerg

Tar snakes are really bad here in Utah. Anyone who has been to Torrey can attest. Utah hwy dept goes crazy with the slippery crack filler, and loves to apply the oily stuff parallel with ones line of travel.

Is there a good way to tame them? Reduce tire pressure? Is there a tire that handles them better? I find that looking waaay thru the curves helps, as long as my brain is programming a course around those critters, but every so often, one sneeks up on me, and the pucker factor goes up, upsetting my concentration (and SWMBO starts beating on my back).

Suggestions from the Collective?

The county came through about a month ago, and put a couple of tons of fresh snake down in our neighborhood. I never had much of an issue, but I never realized how slippery the fresher stuff is, and how temperature related the traction available is. They really ought to put a little sand on the stuff while it is still hot. I get a few thrills in the mile trip out and in every day. More if it is above 90.

Bill_Walker

Utah's tar snakes are way slipperier than California's, in my experience. Different compound to handle a wider range of temperatures, maybe? I dunno.

What has worked for me is to back the speed down a bit, then just stay loose and don't tense up when the bike wiggles a bit. But then, I don't ride two-up.

Utah's snakes are just fresher.......Nobody has done anything to fix a road in CA in years (As near as an occasional visitor like me can tell).

James Clark
Utah's snakes are just fresher.......Nobody has done anything to fix a road in CA in years (As near as an occasional visitor like me can tell).

That's not true.

It's just that our eco-friendly water-based paving material washes away after the first rain.

I see the problem: You're supposed to be using that nice, clean strip on the right side of the picture, not driving on that oil spill. :rofl:

Jeez, I puckered just looking at the pic and you were riding one-handed to take that shot? Or was it a co-rider?

I see the problem: You're supposed to be using that nice, clean strip on the right side of the picture, not driving on that oil spill. :rofl:

Jeez, I puckered just looking at the pic and you were riding one-handed to take that shot? Or was it a co-rider?

The road shoulder was full of gravel and debris. I thought about it as an option.

My wife took the picture from the rear seat pilot location :/

Utah's tar snakes are way slipperier than California's, in my experience. Different compound to handle a wider range of temperatures, maybe? I dunno.

+1 Riding up on 14 was my first experience with them. Disconcerting to say the least as you try to figure out why your bike is suddenly wiggling.

You've just brought back ugly memories of Hwy 12 headed to Torrey many long time ago. On my 100GS zipping along and finding myself skidding all over the place. I almost had to have my leathers surgically removed from my fundamental orifice.

Archived