IGNORED

Wash Out

Sonor

Here's a road hazard I had not encountered before so I thought I would post it. We have been in a drought for the last X years. Recently we have had extreme thunder storms dumping inches in less than a day. The other day I was on some country roads that I know and came across mud washes on the pavement. Driveways that have a pitch and mostly gravel were washed onto the pavement leaving both piles of gravel and very fine mud. Slippery, but navigable as long as it was not in a turn and speed was not a factor. I so seem to remember this scenario from living in the mountains of Pennsylvania, but it was surprising after years of little rain.

Funny, but when you are no longer used to a situation how it shocks and seems unknown.

I believe South Carolina has a law pertaining to mud/clay/gravel driveways. IIRC, any driveway that exits onto the blind side of a hill or curve must, by law, be clay/mud/gravel, and must be washed daily so the road is sufficiently covered in said materials. This is a policy instigated by the state government to ensure local emergency services (especially necessary for areas served by volunteer units) get enough practice plying their trade. It is an especially effective way of controlling non-local hoons.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived